Friday, February 1, 2013

Mouse in the House

2/1/2013

Mouse in the House

Over the years occasionally one of those little furry critters finds his (notice it's a he mouse not a her mouse) way into the house.  I keep the dogs' kibble outside in a small trashcan with a lid that I don't secure very well.  Okay truth time - don't secure at all.  I also have a habit of dropping bits of kibble in the garage when I'm getting the morning rations.  At 5:00 in the morning, and without coffee, it's a wonder that I can even find the garage!  I understand perfectly why these little mouses might want to live in my garage.  And on some level I'm even okay with it.  The deal is - I don't see you - then you don't exist.

Here's the rule - you have to stay in the garage.  No sneaking in the house at night and making yourself comfortable in the pantry.  There is a variety of goodies to choose from in the pantry and on the few occasions that we have caught a mouse I am always amazed at how small they are.  Sometimes a corn chip falls unnoticed the floor of the pantry or a stray nut or two when somebody is trying to stuff a handful into their mouth.  Shocking as this sounds - I don't sweep the pantry every day. I know call Martha Stewart immediately.  Look even if the pantry was squeaky clean if they just hung around Emma's cage long enough she would eventually toss some seeds out onto the floor.

This week there was some "evidence" in the pantry that we had a visitor.  The trap was set and voila "we" (Jeff) was successful the first night.  I've cleaned out the pantry AGAIN and we reset the trap and have come up empty every night.  I find it hard to believe that we had a solo mouse in the house.  There must be brothers and sisters lurking in the shadows somewhere and I know how much they love peanut butter.  I feel like calling "come out come out wherever you are."  I know that the minute we remove the trap the midnight bandits will move back and set up camp.

For the moment the trap is locked and loaded.  Perhaps just knowing this is enough to keep the rest of the family outside where they belong.  Or - and this is a long shot - maybe somebody in the mouse family has a peanut allergy - which sometimes can be deadly.

It's the first of February and a Friday, so enjoy.  I haven't investigated the foods or weirdness of February yet - so today is a virtual free for all.  Eat everything.  For tomorrow I may have a list!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...