Thursday, June 1, 2017

Guest - continued 6/1/2017

Hi, again, Jeff here - being the paid typist for my bride
Again she has written out a LONG bog in longhand.... I will do my best

First of June already - really?
Time just flies by when you're having fun!  When you're stuck in a bed, time moves veeeery slowly!

Last night, I was super sleepy and was ready to go to sleep.  Unfortunately, my CPAP mask had been dropped and the mask had come apart.  I wasn't in the mood to try and fix the mask, so I went to sleep with without it.  Around 1:00 in the morning, someone from Respiratory came in to my room to hook me up to the CPAP machine.  I declined.  About 6:00 this morning, A doctor came in to see me.  What is it with doctors (this one I had never met), showing up and starts futzing (a made up word, but very appropriate) with my foot.  Our visit was not very successful as far as I was concerned.  After he left, the "leg god" was angry, so I stayed still until the pain level goes back down. 

I've has my breakfast, which was good.  As a nod to my daily limit of carbs, I had rice krispies, instead of my preferred Frosty Flakes.

Several doctors came to see me.  I explained how much I was to be able to walk.  They told me that my EMG (think pins and needles) showed a pinched nerve.  This pinched nerve has never been much of a problem for me.  Any pain I has was for sure tolerable.  NOW? Not so much!

Physical Therapy is going to show me today  how to get up the stairs.  That should be a lot of fun.  (insert smiley face here) :-) 

Since I am a prisoner in bed, I am "enjoying" daytime television.  There is "Say Yes to The Dress", "Four Weddings", "Street Outlaws" and some kind of bounty hunter show.

For Christmas, Jeff bought me two jars of products for my face.  They cost ? - A mear "couple of dollars".  The catch? While the original product is cheap; what they don't tell you is that you just signed up for a subscription, which costs over a $100 each month.  To untangle the mess, took me a lot of time.   So, now, I am watching commercials advertising products "X" or "Y" that you can get for VERY little money.  The catch? The comsumer unwittingly, is signing up for more products as a unreasonable price.  While watching these commercials, I just KNOW tht there are people who are already typing in the email address or calling 1-800-GETSCREWED!

Occupational Therapy was just here and she gave me soap and water, so that I could wash all my bits and pieces!  I would LOVE to take a shower - that would be heaven.  This afternoon Physical Therapy is coming and we're going to do something called "stair Bumping".  Sounds like fun doesn't it?

The Ortho doctor came in and told me that the "cure" for this situation could take months.  Then this afternoon, a procedure for tomorrow.  It sounds like they are going to make an incision and remove the "goo".  I am very excited and am keeping my hopes up that this procedure will give me some relief.  I don't know what changed, his mind and I guess I don't need to know. (Longhand blog ends)

Typist's update:
When I arrived this afternoon, Patti told me to "STOP RIGHT THERE" as I entered the room.  She said she had something to show me.  She actually got up and took a couple of steps on her own.  I was very pleased.  She indicated that she had been doing exercises all morning, and when PT came, she was able to walk a little bit... Later, I learned she actually went down the hall, and up and down a few stairs.

While I was there, it was revealed that yes indeed, there is a "procedure" scheduled for tomorrow, and this came up, because the sign on the door that says NPO after midnight (no food or drink).  When Patti asked Dr. Segal, she learned that yes indeed, Ortho was planning on a procedure.   (non-descript).  I was there later this evening, and the Orthopedic surgeon came by to discuss.   She is the Resident and her BOSS will be doing the actual surgery, while she will assist. 

It turns out, that they will use General Anesthesia, and are performing a Baker's cyst-ectomy (removal).  She explained that this is not done very often, but, in this case, they felt this was warranted.  Recovery will be 2 to 3 days - surgery will take 2 hours.  Somewhat complicated due to large arteries in the leg in the same area that must be avoided. 

Bottom line, some progress on the horriffic pain problem - now able to walk a tiny bit... hopefully that will continue to improve... AND - tomorrow, they expect to remove the cyst that they feel is the major contributing factor.  WHOOPEE! PROGRESS... Thanks DR. Segal...

-J-




 

1 comment:

  1. I will keep Patti in my prayers and am hoping for a very positive outcome from the surgery.

    Much Love, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...