Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Protests and Riots

6/1/2020

Yesterday, Jeff, Bella and I made our weekly shopping. Sometimes I don't go, but Bella always goes. After leaving that "fabulous" store (WalMart), we stopped at McDonald's for ice cream. They have really ice cream, and it's not very expensive. The real problem is the "hog" in the back seat. I share my ice cream with Bella, but she tends to get a little pushy. Sometimes, I have to "remind" her that the ice cream was bought for me. But, I do share, and generally have to push her back, so that I can enjoy the treat too!

Well, we made it. We're half-way through the year. However, I'm hoping that the rest of the year, is more peaceful than it is right now. 

This weekend, if you were either (a) reading the paper; or (b) watching the news, the horrible events of the last few days is like a car wreck, you don't want to watch, but you can't take your eyes off the screen.

I think the reason is, at least for Jeff and I,  we are having a really hard time watching the horrors that have played out. Not just here at home, but in other countries as well. How in earth did we get here? This reminds me of the Watts riot. 

I searched, and you know that I always do, but wasn't able to find, and I know he's out there, a leader for the black people. Malcom X, Martin Luther King, Martin Luther King, Jr., and others have all passed away. So, who is the leader for black people right now? I don't know. Who or what event will tamper down the events of right now. I wish I had an answer.

Yesterday, on our way home, there was a small and quiet protest going on in a city near us. The police were present in their cars, and not challenging the people.

Right at this moment, 2 people have died. In Pittsburgh, 44 people were arrested, and 60 businesses and properties were damaged. Personally (no hate mail please), I think looting and damaging stores, is not necessary. I mean, what did those stores ever do to you?

Going back in time, to 1971, there was a major earthquake where I was living. People didn't even want to go under overpasses, for fear that those overpasses would collapse.

I was very pregnant at the time, but on my way to work, the earthquake had done some damage to the city. Windows of stores had been broken by Mother Nature. One of the scenes I saw then, and I can still remember to this day, is the looters who ran in and out of a liquor store. Other businesses were damaged as well, but only the liquor store incident has been seared into my mind. Question is - why is that particularly image stored into the good spot of my brain.

So, as I sit here blogging about events, I just keep wondering why we can't all get along. There was a song by Jackie Deshannon, and part of the lyrics are these:

Come on people now. Smile on your brother. Everybody get together. Try to love one another. Right now. If you hear the song I sing. You will understand (listen!)
Jul 2, 2018 - Dim the lights and get ready for a party. We're in this together now. DJ Falcon and Thomas Bangalter - “Together” ...
Feb 12, 2020 - The 1960s was an exciting but dangerous era. The Vietnam War and fight for civil rights were tearing the U.S. apart. This article suggests a ...
Missing: everyone ‎| Must include: everyone
Get Together Lyrics: Love is but a song we sing / Fear's the way we die / You can make the mountains ring / Or make the angels cry / Though the bird is on the ...
Missing: everyone ‎| Must include: everyone
Nov 2, 2017 - George Harrison - 'Give Me Love Give Me Peace on Earth' Another song from a solo Beatle, taken from Harrison's ...
Image result for song about everyone getting togetherImage result for song about everyone getting togetherMay 12, 2020 - When the going gets tough, the artists get to work. ... our team has come together to share 17 songs from artists around the world that take a ... and in this song she delivers encouragement to everyone to be true to themselves ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...