Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Bugs, Particularly the Cicada

 6/8/2021

Happy Afternoon.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to write about today. But, then it was clear when this particular icky bug was stuck on the window screen in my room. 

The bug in question is a cicada. The last time they were out, was 17 years ago. I don't know where they go, and I don't really care, just them away from me.

Seventeen years ago, the neighbors on our street all applied a product called Milky Spore. All the neighbors on our street used this product on their lawns. It's been 17 years, and these nasty hideous bugs have come out of the ground. Ever wonder what they do in those 17 years? 

They make a lot of noise, dogs eat them, but they don't do a lot of harm to plants and gardens. Even knowing that, I don't want them anywhere near me.

When they popped up the last time, I had never heard of this ugly bug. I was driving, with my window down, and one of them flew into my car. It's a wonder that I didn't have an accident.

Get ready to laugh. On our neighborhood bulletin board, somebody posted that if his neighbor, didn't control the bugs on his yard, he will be fined $25.00. Jeff and I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. Can you imagine somebody trying to keep the bugs from wandering off his property? 

Research, and you know how much I love to do that, says that their mating season only lasts for 4 to 6 weeks. And, they are generally gone by June or July. 

See how ugly they are. They are harmless to humans, but the noise they make seems to last all day and night. I doubt that they are a 24 hour bug, they have to sleep sometime right?



By my numbers, which are sketchy at best, they won't return until I'm 88! By the way, being 88 seems scary to me. 

Obviously, there are other scary bugs outside, but today, the one that is the most annoying is the bug above.

I hope you don't have cicadas where you live. But, if you do, know that they won't be around long.

Have a good rest of the day.

P




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...