Friday, June 11, 2021

Jeffrey

6/11/2021

I today's blog is all about Jeffrey. From a blind date in 1974, to 47 years (in September) of marriage, Jeff and I have been through a lot.

Like most married couples, we've had our share of ups and downs. If you know, Jeff, then you also know that he has a big heart, and doesn't always bother to keep his opinions to himself! Just saying.

This year, perhaps has been our most challenging, to say the least. As I got older, and just like you, defects started showing up in and on my body. Wrinkles, age spots, and that sort of thing. I'm not vain enough to actually worry about these perhaps major or minor changes to my body. It's a fact, that everybody ages, just some people fair better than others. I won't even begin to describe what my body looks like!!  And, when did I start growing hair on my arms. Ewww (or however you spell it.

As Jeff and I both aged, one of us, Jeff, has done a better job. Jeff has his aches and pains, like all people do as they age. And, there are certain things that Jeff no longer does, using a ladder for instance.

Unfortunately, in the last few years, both my body, and my memory issues have become a problem for both of us. I can't remember s**t. Most of the time, I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast. Much less what's on tv.

A few months ago, I moved to an assisted living facility. Jeff works very hard for his customers, and puts in the hours to prove it. A 12 to 14 hour day, is his norm. And, that meant I was at home, with little or no interaction with other people. The situation wasn't mentally healthy for me. 

I've been away from home for several months. Is my facility the best one out there? It's not, but there is always somebody around to help pick me up off the floor when I fall. There are activities in the afternoon, and for the most part, enjoy all of them.

Jeff has been my champion since I moved out. I don't know if this is a permanent thing, or will I go home at some point in the future. I no longer have an Amazon account in my name. I look for items on Amazon, that might and/or should make life easier for me. 

He has bought me weighted silverware, which makes a huge difference, in my life. I put on my list, a plastic cup that has finger holds on one side of the cup. The kitchen knows that I can't use a regular coffee cup now, it's just too heavy to lift. Styrofoam cups are easiest for me to use.

When life changes, you must adapt. Luckily, there are many devices to assist people, who are having difficulties. I ate breakfast this morning, with a woman whose hands shook violently, while trying to eat. Watching her struggle so much to cut up a pancake made me very sad. Perhaps, because I'm always looking on the internet, for things to make my life easier.

I am a very lucky woman, to have a husband, who pays for room and board, which isn't cheap, and also checks my Amazon list for  items that are on my list. Jeff has been very supportive of this new, game changing, situation. Is it permanent? I don't have an idea. Here's what I do know for sure. With me living away, means that Jeff can concentrate on his work. Pretty much, a normal day for him is around 12-14 hours. No wonder that his clients love him so much. Oh, and it doesn't hurt, that he's really very, very good at his job. 

It's not Father's Day, or Jeff's birthday. It's what I'm calling "Jeff's Day". I want to write about, and have Jeff, as well as everybody else know, that through this difficult, but necessary, procession, he's by my side. While I'm saddled with issues, mostly mental, I still feel the love that Jeff and I have for each other, even at a distance.

Jeff, words will never be adequate enough, to tell you or show you, how truly thankful I am for all you have done, and likely will continue to do for me. I am truly grateful. Love you.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...