Saturday, June 5, 2021

I'm Back

 6/5/2021

Hi guys. I've guilty of not behind around for a few days. No excuse, other than sometimes in places, like this one, my day is driven by meals and activities.

Since being here, we have painted wooden eggs. I will leave it to your imagination, what mine looked like!! Let's just say, that if you combine certain colors, with other colors, sometimes the color you get at the end, is a murky brown. Not an Easter egg color at all. But I tried.

Flower arranging? I tried. Water coloring? Again, I tried. This old woman, I guess, wasn't born with much of a creative side. Unless, you count reading and writing. Oh, and blogging, when I get my **** together.

Since being here, I have only been really lonely just a few times. As in any "place" I've stayed in, Most people, and I'm not exception, get off to a rocky start. You don't know the people, the routine, etc. But, over time, I have managed to adjust to waking up when it's time for breakfast. Too early I think. But, then I also think to myself, don't make waves. Stay just below the confusion.

If you stay in places, such as this, you begin to know the names of the other residents. You have your favorite people/persons to share meals with.

Also, for me I always find "that" person. Somebody who might be older or younger than you. And, has traveled a different path than you have.

In this "place", I have met a woman, who has become very special to me. The age difference, which is approximately 22 years, has never bothered either of us. This woman's name is Doris, and she will have her 93rd birthday this month.

Doris' mind, is sharp as a tack. And, when we're together, we always find something to laugh about. We eat our meals together, unless Doris is late. Little 'ol me is never late.

I love to listen to Doris talk about her life. She worked in a shirt factory, some years ago. Her job was folding the new shirts, coming down the line, and, I'm not entirely clear here. She folded them - yes. Did she put them in their boxes? Um, can't remember.

Doris does two things really well. She understands, when you're having a bad day. Frankly, I've had more than a few of those since being here. And, she's optimistic and funny as can be. I love and enjoy spending time with this special woman. We might be the "original" odd couple, but it works for both of us.

My Grandmother passed away when I was in my early 30's. I was so pregnant when she died, that I didn't get to go to her funeral. I've decided that Doris, at least in my imagination, is Grandma. And, everybody needs a grand- mother. 

I've only been a grandmother for 13 years, to a special boy, but when Benjamin came into our lives, it was like putting a cherry on the top of your sundae!

And, few people would dispute you, that being a Grandma to your grandchildren, is probably the best thing in the world. When Benjamin is at our house, rules are loose, food isn't very healthy, and as for going to bed, that's always up for discussion. When he's at MomMom's house (Benjamin's special name for me)  and life is good, for both of us. 

Benjamin, MomMom loves you very much. To the moon and back! It's what we say to each other, when we have to separate. 

It's nearly dinner time, and if I'm late, Doris will give me crap, and vice versa!

I believe I'm where I'm supposed to be. And, somehow I'll know when it's my time to go back home.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

P

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear from you! Thanks for the update. My Mother's name was Doris, so I'm sure your new "grandmother" girlfriend is the best! Take care! Xoxo. Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...