Monday, January 20, 2014

Flying

1/20/2014

Yesterday, in the late afternoon, Jeff and I took our "baby" (the plane) out for a short flight.  We're still breaking in the new engine, which gives us an excuse (not that we need one), to go flying.  The heater in the plane is way better than the a/c.  In the heat of the summer, it can get pretty warm inside, particularly during a long flight.  But even getting a bit hot is a small price to pay for the immense pleasure we get while we bore holes in the sky!  Now if we had a tit-for-tat kind of marriage, then based on the cost of the new engine - yours truly would literally be dripping in diamonds!  

When you're flying, you can look down and see the cars on the freeway and if it's dark all the houses lit up and brilliant stars. We both like the sound of a small plane but from the ground, I can't decipher one little plane from another.  What I do know is that someone up there is having one heck of a good time while pursuing their hobby or dream - or both.

While I was in the air last night, I jotted down the following on a piece of scrap paper.  Mind you this is not even remotely in the same category as Keats, but for the spur of the moment, I thought it wasn't too bad:

When I fly high in the air
It gives me time to stop and stare
At all the houses in a row 
And people going to and fro
Where do all the people go?
Only each of them know! 

I don't know how it is for other small plane owners, but I know that for Jeff, any day when his schedule is empty (or mostly) and the sun is shining, gives him a good enough reason to go out there and do what he loves doing.  He came to flying a little later in life, but the joy that  he and I get out of being able to fly pretty much anywhere and anytime (weather permitting), can't adequately be described in words.  Just trust me when I tell you that buying the plane was hands down the best decision we ever made!  No regrets.

So when you're out in your yard and you hear a small plane flying overhead, look up and know that there is at least one person inside that plane that is having the time of their life.

P


2 comments:

  1. Thanks. Not too bad for a scrap of paper while flying waaaaaaaaaay up in the air!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...