Sunday, January 12, 2014

Movies

1/12/2014

Yesterday, after asking - multiple times, I finally got Jeff to go to the movies with me to see "Saving Mr. Banks".  I had seen the movie a week ago with girlfriends but knew that this was a movie he would love - great acting and music plus the memories of watching Mary Poppins on the big screen with the boys.

It has been a long time, so long ago that I don't remember the last movie we went "out" to see, but I'm betting it was a long time ago.  Jeff prefers to watch movies at home - with a pause button, free popcorn and soda, and our reclining sofa.  I understand all that and I like those things too, but every now and then I feel you must get out of the house and go see a movie in a theater.  Of course, the price of tickets gives us pause, $8.00 before 6:00 pm, and after 6:00, $10.50.  I have no idea how much popcorn and a soda cost but I'm pretty sure they're pricey.

I can remember a time - a long time ago - when we actually stood in line with the boys to buy tickets to watch either StarWars or ET.  When we moved here from California in 1986, we lived in a rental house from March until September.  The rental house was small and had an anemic air conditioner, so to keep ourselves cool that summer, we loaded up in the car, and went and saw matinees on the weekends.   

The weather yesterday was a perfect day for a movie - constant rain and gray and gloomy outside.  The patrons watching Mr. Banks was an older crowd, so Jeff and I fit in perfectly.  I know that Jeff loved the movie, because he enjoys music very much and he was touched, as I was, to watch the interaction between Walt Disney and Mrs. Travers.  I highly recommend this movie to everyone.

Since I got Jeff to go with me to see this amazing movie, I'll be quiet about future movies the remainder of the year.  It seems doubtful that I'll see another movie with a girlfriend that I will give an A+++++ rating to.  Any movie that doesn't live up to that standard, is not something I'm going to try and drag Jeff to.  There is a movie coming out with Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep that my girlfriend and I want to go and see.  An advantage of being "retired" is that you can go in the middle of the week and the middle of the day to see a movie!  Such a perk (and it may be the only one I can think of at the moment)!

When I'm finished drinking my coffee, and the blog is done, then I'm heading to the sofa to try and figure out my next week's schedule of television watching.  Sunday nights are particularly tricky, since it seems like all the best shows are on Sunday.  Never fear, I'm up to the challenge.  I don't just plunk my rear on the sofa every night and hope that the Tivo has recorded something worthy (or not) of watching.  Unlike Jeff, I really enjoy reality shows and all the staged drama that comes with those types of shows.

During the week while I'm eating my lunch, I watch Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal.  I consider these two shows "educational" because I try and guess the price of the items up for bid.  I've discovered that I actually don't know how much a waffle maker costs!  And truthfully, if that was the prize, I wouldn't even want to win.  My waffle maker has sat on the highest shelf in a cupboard for years and with the convenience of waffles made in the toaster, will likely never be of use again.

Okay folks, cup is empty so I'll now turn my attention to the business of selecting our television schedule for the week.  Luckily, Jeff and I agree on a number of shows and disagree on a lot of shows that I watch when he's busy doing something else.  Unlike yours truly, his tolerance for cheesy reality shows is much lower than mine!

Have a great Sunday.  I can actually see the sun today, which is a very good thing. 

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...