Sunday, January 19, 2014

Coupons

1/19/2014

Today is Sunday, which means that there are glossy pages filled with coupons tucked inside the newspaper.  And for some stupid (and I really do mean stupid) reason, I feel compelled to look at every one of those coupons.  Why do I subject myself to this week after week?  Who knows.  I obviously don't need a coupon for disposable diapers, or hair coloring (only because I refuse to disguise my gray hair - I don't want anybody to question my right to have the senior citizen discount!)  

One thing that annoys me, and believe me, there are others, is the $1.00 off if you buy TWO of something.  I don't want or need to buy two containers of dish liquid soap, body wash, jars of pickles, etc.  Well, you get the idea.  There is only so much room in somebody's house to hold containers, cans and jars of stuff.  And I am simply running out of room!  Jeff and I have always had a very complete and full pantry, refrigerator and freezer and it's not a secret among the family that our house is the place to go if you get hungry!  If, and it's a big if, I ran out of dish soap during a blizzard, the world would not come to an end.  There are always paper plates, etc., I could use in a pinch.  Over the years we simply moved away from using "real" dishes in favor of paper, but with belt tightening in place, I have resumed to washing dishes as opposed to throwing away disposable dishes. 

Yesterday, I dutifully sat down and clipped a few coupons for dog snacks, aluminum foil and a few other products that we ACTUALLY use.  Now here's what's going to happen to those coupons, because this is what always happens.  I will put them in my purse where they will stay at the bottom and get crushed and/or wrinkled and be completely forgotten. I will find them only when I get around to cleaning out my purse (and that doesn't happen very often).  I also never remember the expiration date of coupons, so if I'm in a store and suddenly get a brain flash that I do have a coupon(s), and I can find them, they are almost always out of date.  So what's the point of cutting them out in the first place? 

I have in the past watched that Extreme Couponers (not sure how you spell that) show where women have binders that look like something a bodybuilder would use to build muscles, instead of pumping iron.  They spend hours, and I do mean hours, looking at coupons, clipping, sorting and planning a strategic trip to the store.  Some of these people do dumpster diving for extra coupons (yuck).  Do they save money?  Of course they do, but when you look at their stash of products, it makes me wonder if you really need enough toothpaste to last you for the next four years.  What if you decide you don't like that product any more?  Plus, I am never going to use a coupon for a product that I either don't use or want.  That doesn't make good sense to me.  Be assured you'll never see me on any extreme coupon show!  

But since I did cut out some coupons today, whether I use them or not, isn't the point.  The point is that I'm proud of myself for TRYING to save some money.  Even if I never use them, my intent was good and that's enough for me.

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...