Monday, January 6, 2014

Money, Money, Money (Queen of Versailles)

1/6/2014

Don't hate us the super rich cry.  They just can't help that they're really rich and famous and we're not. Sympathy from us?  Nope. This documentary about the house being built  named Versailles, was just plain fun to watch and generally when I'm watching somebody's story, I'm rooting for their success.  With this story - not so much.

She's 47 and he's 77 and they have eight kids and a staff of 19.  Until their "Versailles"home is being built (probably by 2015) with its 90,000 square feet home,30 bedrooms and 23 bathrooms, these people are reduced to living in a 26,000 square foot home.  Wouldn't you like to have that kind of problem?  Apparently the misses owns a $17,000 pair of crocodile boots made by Gucci.  Again I ask why?  I get happy about a pair of dress shoes that cost considerably less - and I have never bought a purse, coat or shoes that have a comma in the price tag.  I just couldn't bring myself to spend money on something that is going to wear out. I will make an exception for jewelry - what woman wouldn't?

 I know that when all the boys were home, Jeff and I dreamed of buying a bigger home to give us more space.  Fast forward 28 years, it's just the two of us and our dogs that spend most of their time on sofas.  What we've thought about is getting rid of this house, which is in a nice neighborhood and get something smaller.  I'm not sure Jeff would be happy in a townhouse but who knows, nothing ever stays the same.

As our circumstances changed in 2013, Jeff and I have returned to tightening the belt when it comes to spending.  When we were first married and bought our little house the house payment was $200.00. The year after moving in the mortgage jumped to $213 and both of us just couldn't imagine where we would get $13.00 more dollars.  You can, if you have to, live with less.  It's not fun but from the start of our marriage 39 years ago, we agreed that we would get in the rowboat and together row ourselves to the shore.  I lost my way for most of last year, but I'm back in the boat with my best friend, and as we row together - we'll be just fine.

P

2 comments:

  1. How are your guys doing with your crazy weather? Easier to stay inside by that nice new warm gas fireplace isn't it? Your positive perseverance and commitment to each other made 39 years ago is to be celebrated over and over again!! Sending hugs and sunshine from California. Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruthie for the uplifting message. Today is not only super cold, but I'm having one of my down days, which makes everything more difficult. Thanks for thinking of me. P

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...