Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Alterations, or Why Short People hate Long Sleeves and Long Pants!

6/25/2014

If you don't know me, then you don't know that I'm short. I mean short with a capital "S".  For years I watched, and still do, envy long legged women who can reach the top shelves in a store, without assistance!  When I try to reach to reach that top shelf, there is a lot of huffing and puffing on my part, which makes me think of a fish trying to breathe.  Not pretty I assure you.

I try and buy petite clothing, but apparently manufacturers think petites are also teeny weight wise.  Note to manufacturers, not all of us short folks are thin.  Nope, some of us resemble a pear in shape and finding clothes that fit becomes somewhat of a challenge.

My go to clothes that never need alterations is 3/4 sleeve blouses, which become long sleeves for me; and, capris which can depending on the inseam can double as long pants on me! I wonder where designers get their models from.  Every time you look at the inseam on a pair of petite pants they are generally 27 or 28 inches long.  For me, that means those pants are dragging on the ground.  I'm more of a 25/26 inch gal.  I want my pants to stop somewhere around the ankle, which is why "shorty" pants are perfect for me.

 The alteration lady at the dry cleaners knows me and as soon as I walk in with a piece of clothing, after she says hello, she also says too long!  I told her that just once I'd like to come in and ask her to make something, anything longer.  

I just bought a beautiful red (favorite color) raincoat with a hood that was supposed to be short in length.  Surprise, surprise, the sleeves required taking off at least two inches, because I don't like long sleeves to fall below my wrist.  I know, I know - I'm picky.

I like my clothes to fit my little round body.  I don't want tight clothes, prefer all cotton and the right colors.  I am a "winter" as far as colors go, and I look best in the brightest of reds, oranges, etc.  Pale colors don't work for me.  Besides bright colors look better with the every increasing amount of gray in my hair!

I just bought a dress on Ebay, my favorite place to shop, and it was advertised as a "mini" (above the knee).  Happily, I knew that mini to most would be below the knee on me, and I was right.  No alternations needed!

I know my knees aren't cute, so the few pair of long(er) shorts that I own, are only worn around the house.  Since I no longer sit outside trying to soak up the rays, I don't want to subject the populace to my legs, which are pasty white.

While the temperatures soar during the summer, I'm comfy in my shorty pants.  I stopped worrying a long time ago what people thought about the clothes I'm wearing.  I can't turn back the clock and become a spring chicken again.  And it's for sure that I'm never going to be any taller, in fact it's likely that I'll shrink!!  Bummer.

P



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...