Monday, June 2, 2014

New Plants

6/2/2014

As you know, in the last two weeks, I have planted several new plants in the backyard.  And, you get what you pay for. Initially, I put little *emphasis on little" plants costing very little.  I took my wee little shovel and dug holes for the plants.  I remember the things my Dad said about planting, big enough holes, pack down the dirt and water, water, water.

For the first week or so, my plants didn't look so good, and yes, I watered faithfully..  Unsure of their survival, I went back to the store and this time bought bigger, i.e., more expensive, plants.  Once these guys were in the ground they actually looked like plants and I had no worries that they would grow.

I'm happy to report that ALL my new plants are doing quite well, with the exception of the geranium.  I had always thought that it was impossible to kill a geranium, but after watching each leaf wither and die, I'm having my doubts.

I obviously have plenty of time for weeding, but now the problem is getting on the ground and yet an even bigger problem, is getting off the ground.  I am determined to fill in all the empty ground that was once in the shadows of the Cypress branches.  

While gardening is pretty hard on my body, I feel such satisfaction when I step back and see the plants growing and the weeds being removed one by one.  Of course the problem with weeds is that as soon as I yank them out of the ground, a new one sprouts up - a never ending job.

I have an Adirondack chair in the backyard, and when I'm tuckered out, I grab my water and park my fanny in the chair and bask in my achievements.  Added bonuses of working in the yard is getting a tan and burning calories!  Who doesn't love that?

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...