Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Man at the Top and the Guy in the Middle

6/22/2014

The local paper came out with their annual Top Workplaces 2014 this week and it's a real eye opener to see how much CEO's and the like earn, compared to regular folk.  

The average salary increase forecast for 2014 is 3.1%, which isn't going to make a lot of difference in your paycheck.  Compare that lowly raise with the $10.5 million which is the median pay for CEOs in 2013.  Quite a difference.  Mind you that the decisions made by CEO's of large corporations cannot possibly compare to the daily decisions the minions make.

In addition to listing the top companies in my area, the article went on to highlight some of the perks offered by employers.  And, in my opinion, some of these perks are really nice.

One company pays 100 percent of medical, dental and visions plans for employees and their dependents.  Who wouldn't love that?

Another firm gives managing partners $12,000 a year to put toward the purchase or lease of a BMW or Lexus.  Not too shabby.

One company provides married employees with children a back-up child care program when their normal daycare provider is unavailable.  I wish that when I had small children, I would have had that benefit.

Other companies' innovative perks range anywhere from offering shuttle service to restaurants close to the office; there is an annual cook-off competition at one firm.  A law firm put in an espresso bar complete with a barista.  There are bowling leagues, hold ugly sweater contests, or Chia Pet growing competitions.

What I know is that when I entered the work force in 1968, there were no perks - period.  I felt lucky just to have a job which paid me a really paltry salary.  At the firm, I had to ask my supervisor just to use the bathroom!

I'm glad to say that things are much better for workers now.  When employers go the extra mile for their employees, the reward to the employer is significant.  Everybody want s to feel appreciated.  

When Jeff and I helped run the mobile battery business, we gave our drivers as much as was possible.  They received a raise every six months, a bonus each month if sales were up.  Each year they had a new pair of steel-toed boots as well as a new winter jacket.  Birthdays and births were remembered as well as a Christmas party, complete with gag gifts for the drivers and real gifts for all of the children.  

I no longer have to worry about getting a raise, being a top performer or contributions to my 401(k).  Do I miss work?  Some part of me does.  Who wouldn't after 40+ years?  Do I miss the "who's talking to who today" drama?  Nope, not one little bit.  Do I miss having to try and schedule doctor's appointments around the rest of the clerical staff?  Again - no.

Retirement doesn't pay as well - but it has it's own set of perks.  No alarm clocks, or checking the winter weather for closings.  No rushing down the interstate to get to work on time and no worries over making appointments around everybody's schedules.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...