Tuesday, May 11, 2021

I'm Still Here

 5/11/2021

Sorry guys, just haven't been up to blogging. I have an excuse. With your eyes rolling back into your head, you're thinking, of course, I have an excuse, I always have one!!

Last Friday, after shopping with Benjamin and Stacey, at Jeff's favorite store - WalMart, where we had too much success in finding things. It wasn't all about clothes, well, perhaps a little about clothes. But, I also wanted to buy orange juice, 2% milk and spreadable butter. 

As you sit at home, or at work, you're probably thinking why would I need to buy "groceries" for myself. It took me over a month, to get the kitchen to understand that I wanted ice, at each meal. Success on that front.

I don't have enough energy or fight left in me, to try and get orange juice in the morning. Even though I say, 2% milk on all my meal preference sheets, I continually get whole milk - ugh. It's like drinking cream, and I know that Jeff loves whole milk. Of course, you already know about butter, here, like in restaurants, you get those two stupid little pats of butter, that are rock hard. Stacey and I have fixed all these issues. Sorry Jeff, but you have to pick your battles, and I'd put so much effort into getting ice, that am now crying "uncle", for everything else.

Oh, where was I? Oh yes, Friday and bringing bags (Jeff doesn't need to know that right?) up to my room. The bags, and yes there was more than one, were put into my room. I was in the business of pushing my "buggy" into my room. What I didn't realize is that my sweater had gotten caught in one of the wheels. Well, as they say, the rest is history! Long story short, I fell hard. Face first of course, and hitting my left leg on the floor. 

I pushed my little panic button twice, and nobody came. I managed to get myself up on my knees and was able to crawl to my desk. Once at the desk, I was able to pull myself up, and parked my fanny in my chair. Was I disappointed in the staff? Oh, you bet.

Before I knew it, my room was full of EMTs. How they got there, I don't know. They were there to take me to the hospital - I refused to go. When I did fall, my head brushed against the wall, emphasis on brushed. I, had to go through motions with arms, legs, etc., to prove to them that I hadn't broken any bones. They again suggested that I go to the hospital for a CT, and again I refused. Bruises to the body, does not need medical attention.

I was, however in pain, so I took the only pill for pain, that you can have, is Tylenol. I don't have a prn on file for pain. I got through the day, and checked my body, which I hate to do, in the mirror. Oh boy, I was already getting a bruise on my thigh, about the size of Arizona. Not much you can do about a bruise.

On Saturday, I stayed in my pj's all day. And I almost never do that. By now, my bruise had grown to the size of Texas - so not attractive. And, will take a long time to disappear. Glad it's not bathing suit season yet. Oh it is? I wasn't planning on wearing a bathing suit this year, nor did I do so, last year. So my ugly appearance, wasn't going to matter to anyone, but yours truly.

Book delivery came on Friday, and I had ordered 15 books. I've already read 2, and am most of the way through a third one. 

Yesterday, my physical therapist came by, and told me that I can't leave my room without my buggy - argh. I went down to the lobby, to see if I had mail - no. But I did have my buggy with me. There are two reasons that I choice this one. First, the necessary wires that are needed, are inside the walker. Second, the walker, by pulling on the strap on the seat, you can collapse it into a very thin walker, or whatever you call it. I collapsed it in the lobby, and all the people who sit in the lobby, were amazed. Where did I buy it? Why does it collapse so small (really?). 

Most, if not all, of the residents here, are very, very heavy. They push around a little walker intended for somebody who weighs 100 pounds or so. Basically, they use their walkers to hold books, water, etc. Pretty obvious that they aren't actually able to sit on these walkers. Why they have them, is a mystery to me. These little walkers would be of no use if somebody fell. Okay, enough about falling.

Sunday was Mother's Day. Chef put together a tea, coffee, cookie get together. There were only about 8 of us who attended. I actually feel very sorry when the staff goes to so much trouble to do nice things for us, and then nobody comes. It must be frustrating for these people.

There is nothing to do around here on the weekends, but I had options. I could water color, Jeff bought me a very, very nice set of paint, ink pens, which so far I haven't been able to work (shocker) and very heavy paper for me. It's a wonderful set, and I've already used it, such a nice selection of colors!

I could latch hook, and I have a "diamond dot" picture to work on as well. The diamond dots has a pattern printed on paper. You "pick" up each little "diamond", and place it approp- priately. My hands are a bit shaky, so I haven't been very successful with that project. 

I did go to exercise class yesterday. I did all the exercises on my right leg, left leg not so much. I also had physical therapy in the afternoon. The concentration at the moment, is balance, or lack of balance. Yes, I need work on my core, but I feel like I'm always just one step away from falling down. I really need help with staying upright.

Beautiful day outside, and if I had a therapist walk around with me and my buggy, with one of those belts around my waist, I would go out and walk. No therapist, no belt, no walking. 

I "watched" a ball game last night. Who was playing? I have no idea. I use the games more for white noise, while I'm reading. If one of the local teams is playing, preferably, the Nats, then I actually do watch.

Looking at my clock. Have to get ready to go down and flex my muscles, such as they are. 

Have a sunny day. Chat with you tomorrow.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...