Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Johns Hopkins System

 2/3/2021

Years ago, our family doctor retired. We needed a replacement doctor for Jeff and I. I don't know why we did, but both of us opted to take our medical needs to Johns Hopkins. And, we're glad we did!

At the time, probably 13 years ago, I called Internal Medicine looking for a doctor. Interestingly, on I think, the first Monday in a month, internal doctors post how many new patients they could take.

Our present doctor, had room for two new patients. So I signed up Jeff and I, and we have never looked back. Besides their downtown Baltimore location, there are satellite facilities closer to home. Over the years, when we send an email or phone our doctor, a response is usually emailed, within minutes. Jeff and I really lucky to have such a great internist.

We know take all our care from Hopkins. They have a feature that allows any Hopkins doctor to look our history from "my chart Hopkins". And, they can, of course, share our visits with all the other doctors. It's a very good system, and we have never been disappointed in our care.

Yesterday, was one more example of how efficient they were when it came time to get our vaccine shots. In the news, you see a lot of people spending many hours, in the cold, These people are hoping that when it's their turn, there will still be vaccines available for them.

Jeff and I were able to schedule an appointment for our shots. The system couldn't have run any smoother. We checked in, and then directed us to a waiting room of sorts. I think there was perhaps a dozen people ahead of us. 

Once it was our turn, we each had our shot, and then spent 15 minutes or so in "recovery" if you will, to make sure that we were good to go. I don't believe there was any walk-in patients, and I'm pretty sure you had to be part of the Hopkins team. We were on our way home, probably within 30 minutes! And, they gave us an appointment for the next shot. I know we still have to do all the protective things: face masks, etc., but somehow receiving the vaccine makes me feel more secure. And, since I almost never leave home, so I feel really protected.

I've been looking to go to a senior community, seeking respite care for Jeff. I looked into one facility, and 14 days there costs $860.00. That's a bit more expensive, than I thought it would be. I'll have to do more research. It would be helpful, if I momentarily left the house, and stayed at a senior living community. This is not the same thing as a resting or nursing home. I'll see what's available. It would be really good for Jeff.

Still very cold outside, and the fireplace is going all day, and it's wonderful. Daisy and Bella take turns sleeping in front of the fireplace. There is, from time to time, a power struggle. Most of the time it's Daisy (smaller dog) who wins the spot!

Have to tidy up a few things before my neighbor comes here to visit. The cleaning lady was here yesterday, but I still have a few areas that need my touch!

Please stay well. Perhaps if everybody has been vaccinated by summer, who knows, we might be able to ditch the masks!

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...