Thursday, February 20, 2014

Failing Eyes and Proper Lighting

2/20/2014

I have reached a "certain age", which means among other things, that the old eyeballs just aren't what they used to be.  Thanks to a growing cataract in one eye, reading, which has been a lifetime passion of mine, is getting more and more difficult.  The local library only carries so many large type books and even with the large type, I still have to use my reading glasses!  Oh and wait it gets better - I also have to have a super bright bulb like a halogen, aimed at the page I am reading.

Books with what most people would consider normal size print, is now almost out of the question. Smaller print strains my eyes and makes me tired.

I can find large type books on the internet and the books themselves aren't very expensive, but you get to shell out at least $3.99 for shipping.  

But I've come up with a solution to my problem - books on dvd's.  Through the Library of Congress for the Blind and Handicapped I can receive a digital player as well as dvd's, for free.  Shipping doesn't cost me anything.  Years ago, Scott used a player from the Library but in those days it was cassette tapes and the player was bulky.  The equipment is much more streamlined now.

I am getting to the point where I am willing to give up on reading "real" books, unless they are in large type, in favor of the Library's books recordings. One of my joys is actually holding the book. Sometimes if you are reading an older book, there is a certain smell (from age) that for reason or another pleases me. Sure I use the Kindle but it's just not the same.  I know the dvd's won't either, but at least I don't have to buy them.  "Read" them and return them in the mail.  

If I could find more large type books from the local library, I probably wouldn't bother getting books in the mail.  Trouble is the selection is very limited and sometimes there is a long queue for these books.

Apparently you can get recorded magazines.  For instance People is one magazine that is recorded.  I'm just not sure how that would work with no pictures.  Consumer Reports would be better suited to audio, because if they're talking about a toaster, you can at least visualize a toaster.

Anyway I am crying "uncle" on my reading and will now do just about anything that allows me to continue reading. One piece of equipment that I need is a good (really bright) reading lamp, with an arm that can be moved up or down.  I'm pretty sure that if we go to Lowe's or Home Depot we will be seriously disappointed in the selection.  I don't need a pretty light, I need a useful light.   There is a local lamp shop and Jeff is going to take me there so that we can see first hand what the lights are capable of.  Wish me luck.

P


1 comment:

  1. Patti - maybe go to the eye doctor - cataracts can be removed....hope you are doing well. Best! Kathi

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...