Saturday, February 1, 2014

New Glasses

2/1/2014

Over the years, my eyesight continues to deteriorate.  I think I'm just one step away from needing a guide dog - and they can't drive!

The prescription for my glasses is a bit complicated - bifocals and prisms and consequently they are quite expensive.  I don't change my glasses very often and keep my frames for years.  I don't feel the need to have designer glasses, which simply puts more money in the pocket for someone(s) that already has plenty of money.  

I put off eye exams, even when I know my eyesight isn't as clear as it should be.  I don't like getting new lenses and having to "break" them in.  Like old slippers, my old glasses are comfortable and I've gotten used to them, even if I have to struggle a bit to see.

Last month I went to see the ophthalmologist to have my eyes tested because I was having trouble reading the words on the tv.  While it's not one of those 60" television, it's good sized and up until recently had no trouble reading the words.  One of the things I hate about having my eyes tested, is the part where you have to decide if "1" or "2" is better.  I always wonder why I can't have a third option.  After I keep going back and forth long enough, I'm so confused. I also keep wondering why the doctor can't somehow make the decision through some magical doctor thing to know exactly which lens is better.

I left the doctor's office with a brand new prescription for my regular (distance) glasses.  I was so excited because I knew that very soon I would actually be able to read the television screen.  Yesterday, I popped in to get my new lenses.  Right out of the gate I didn't like them.  I also know intellectually that you have to give new glasses a chance so that your eyes can adjust.  The suggestion was to wear my new glasses as much as possible during the next couple of days.

Last night we went out to Andy's house to have cake and ice cream for his birthday.  It was dark on our way home and that was when I became frustrated.  Every road sign, tail lights, etc. all had half of the sign or light underneath the actual sign.  Okay, this nearly drove me nuts.  I tried for awhile to close one eye to see if my problem was in just one eye.  Nope.  Didn't matter which eye was open/closed, still had this annoying shadow thing on everything.  

Guess where I'm going today?  Yup. Back to the opticians to talk about my night vision.  I know the doctor lowered my prisms, which I have had for years to keep me from seeing double. Maybe the solution will be to put back my prisms to what they were before getting new glasses.  Wish me luck.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...