Sunday, February 2, 2014

Football

2/2/2014

It's official, the football season is going to end today, unless you play fantasy football.  The game today will be watched by millions of folks across the country.  They will individually be rooting for their favorite (or at least their pick of the two teams that are playing) team to win.  I don't "do" football so I can barely remember who is playing and the outcome of the game doesn't matter to me.

I am not a sports widow, because Jeff isn't particularly interested in sports.  We do watch the big game, but find the commercials, which are generally great, more entertaining than the game.  I know this puts us in the minority, but we're okay with that.

What the big game does do is make it ridiculously easy for me to line up my Sunday night television, since there is very little else on except 60 Minutes and Downtown Abby.  Generally, on Sunday I have to very carefully watch the times of our favorite shows and make sure that there are no conflicts.  I love television and after reading the Sunday TV Week, I sit down - coffee and marker in hand - and select the shows we're going to watch for the week.  Jeff isn't the tv nut that I am, so I watch my cheesy shows when he's working or flying.  We do have several shows that we both enjoy, such as Shark Tank, Elementary and the Mentalist.  

I suppose if I were in a grocery store today, I would see carts filled up with chips, dips, and in certain stores beer.  I don't think anybody sits down to watch a football game with a dainty plate filled with celery and carrots!  Pretty sure those aren't considered "real" football food!

Okay some fun facts:

  • This game is the second highest day for eating.  And yes I know you know that Thanksgiving wins first place in this category.
  • 1.23 billion wing portions are consumed; 11 million pounds of chips, 38 million pounds of popcorn; 8.2 million pounds of tortilla chips and finally 51.7 million cases of beer are drunk (or should it be drank?)
  • Ads during the game cost 3.4 million per 30 SECONDS!
  • And finally, 56% of people  tune in to watch the game for the commercials as they do for the game itself (Jeff and I are part of that 56% - most of the advertisers make good use of their ad spot
 This afternoon my good friend is taking me to a movie which will be a good way to spend the afternoon.  We're going to watch a subtitled movie which will give me a good opportunity to check out my new glasses for distance seeing!

So enjoy your afternoon and definitely your evening spent probably in front of the television and I hope your team wins.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...