Thursday, February 27, 2014

Year's Best Bathrooms!

2/26/2014

Trust me people I'm not kidding about the "best" bathrooms.  The National Kitchen and Bathroom Association (NKBA") actually have an annual competition for bathrooms.  After looking at the nine finalist bathrooms, they are all gorgeous.  Probably too beautiful to actually be used!  You won't find any old generic toilets, showers and sinks.  There is only one bathroom that has white products, but even that bathroom doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before. And for sure these bathrooms, even the white one, doesn't resemble anything I have in the house!  Several years ago we updated our master bathroom.  We now have decorative tile and a glass shower door.  The improvements were nothing fancy in the big scheme of things, but it moved us away from builder's white tile everywhere!

So I went out to my favorite source for information - the internet.  There is a company that is selling a copper vessel sink for the bathroom for only $5,295.  The copper bathtub is a mere $45,000.  Can you imagine paying more for a sink than most people do for a car.  Seems a bit over the top to me.  I'm not positive but pretty sure that copper requires special cleaning.  After doing some more research yes copper tubs do require special care.  It is recommended that you dry the tub after use and that periodically you wax the tub for extra protection.  That sounds like way too much work to me.

Now if you spend $45,000 for a tub for the master bedroom, then I would want to move the bathroom to the first floor.  What good is a fancy dancy tub if nobody but you and hubby ever get to see it.  

I'm not a cheap buyer, I'm a prudent buyer.   I don't "need" fancy kitchen and/or bathroom fixtures and if money was no object, then I would be more open to spending more money, but not ridiculous amounts, on fancier fixtures.  A basic bathroom faucet does exactly the same thing as a high end one does - delivers hot and cold water!

Copper toilet lined with pennies!

http://maidstonejewelry.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/toilet_0466.jpg

A copper toilet and/or sink should be put someplace in the house where folks can see them.  For the price you would have to spend to own one or both of these, I think that you would want to show them off just as much as you would the bathtub!



So don't all of you stampede down to the local bathroom store (if there is such a thing) and rush to replace the old stuff.  The good thing about copper sinks and toilets is that once you get tired of them, you will likely be able to get a good return on your money.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...