Saturday, February 15, 2014

Post Valentine's Day

2/15/2014

Okay, Cupid has put away his arrow for another year. Roses have been delivered, chocolates consumed, and fancy dinners (requiring reservations!) have been eaten.  Cards are given, some sappy (my favorite) and the gushy kind. You can go into a store and read the sentiments from cards to your significant other for free!  I know this isn't likely to be considered romantic for most of you, but it saves a lot of money since I don't tend to save a lot of cards.  I did save all the cards I received in 2013 from family and friends during my very difficult time.  Thank you to every onel who remembered me with your positive thoughts of recovery.

So let me tell you what my sweetie did for me yesterday.  AND, this is way cooler than flowers that wilt and die, chocolates that make the scale creep up and not down.  And we didn't eat dinner out, Jeff had made a wonderful chicken vegetable soup on Thursday - we warmed it up on Friday and sat on the sofa while watching our favorite shows.  Not really romantic like you read about in novels, but works for us.

Jeff shoveled the driveway clean, went into the backyard and shoveled a path from the slider to the doggy door.  Maggie just plows through deep snow, but old Sam has little legs, and he finds it much harder to get around.  Plus since he has white fur, it's easy to lose him!

Jeff found a brighter reading lamp to help make it easier for me to read, and I really appreciated that.  It's getting harder to read unless it's large type books, which are sometimes hard to find at the library.  I have asked my ophthalmologist to sign a form that I can send to the Library of Congress for the Blind to start receiving books on disks.  When Scott used talking books, they only had cassette tapes and the machine was big.  I'm supposing that this many years later, the machines are more compact, at least I hope so.  It appears that I can get a lot of magazines from the Library also, but I'm having trouble figuring out how much satisfaction I would get from a recording of People magazine, for instance.  Consumer reports would lend itself to a talking format. I don't need pictures to see what the latest toaster looks like!  So I'm a bit iffy about magazines, but if the doctor agrees that talking books would make my life easier, then I will at least try out a magazine.

After 26 years of cooking, our cook top arced on Friday, which required turning off the power to the cook top.  Jeff went to the local store that sells replacement parts for appliances.  They didn't have the part (ya think?), but they gave him a lead on someone in California, who did happen to have the part and it's being shipped out this week.  In the meantime, Jeff worked some "Macgyver" magic to make it possible to continue cooking.  What a guy!

He also listened to me yesterday when I was clearly having an off day.  I can't explain what comes over me, but when it does - it just does.  So when I get this way, he's patient and let's me get off my chest what's bothering me.  I know that I'm a very lucky woman to have a husband who still loves me (even after everything I have done) and puts up with my mood swings.  Thank you Jeff from the bottom of my heart..

It's gently snowing here at the house but it's not going to be the big snow storm we had earlier in the week.  I hope it's snowing where you are.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...