Sunday, February 9, 2014

Generic Products

2/9/2014

Save a penny, save a pound is a favorite saving.  I'm all for saving money and will buy generic products to save that penny, with a few exceptions.  Here are some of the things I will buy to save pennies and sometimes dollars:

  • Generic soap for the dishwasher and washer
  • Toilet paper, paper towels and Kleenex
  • The crackers shaped and taste like Triscuits
  • Saltines
  • Most cereals
  • Honey
  • Jam/Jelly
  • Soup
  • Dietsoda
  • Dog Food and biscuits
  • Shampoo
  • Aluminum foil 
  • Buttermilk (ick) and regular milk
  • Trash bags for use in the house
  • Most cleaners for the house
  • Ice cream
  • Cookies (unlike my Peppermint Patties, I'm not overly fussy about cookies)
  • Canned fruits
  • Frozen veggies
  • Ice Cream
  • Some frozen dinners/meals - like pot pies (which I love)
  • Pain relieving medicine
  • Jello
For the most part, generic products are as good as the "real" thing.  Likely the generic products might be made in the same factory and just given a different wrapper. That side, these are some products of which I will not take anything but the original, because generic just isn't the same, nor does it taste the same:.
  • Peppermint Patties.  The generic ones are frankly no good.  I love candy so if I'm going to indulge, I want the real thing
  • Mayonnaise.  I never use this unless it's in a salad, but Jeff loves Mayonnaise and we don't buy anything but the real thing
  •  Neutrogena soap
  • Pizza.  As far as I'm concerned there is only one pizza to buy - Tombstone
  • Sliced cheese
  • Hot dogs
  • Toothpaste - always Crest - no substitutes
  For the most part, I'm not a brand name snob.  To be fair, I've given the generic products a try and they just don't measure up. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.  

Happy shopping.

P



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...