Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cure for Insomnia

3/5/2014

I have found the ultimate cure for sleepless nights - books on tape!  My first talking book arrived from the Library of Congress yesterday.  Admittedly, the book wasn't one that I would have chosen for myself.  The first book they send you is sort of a random choice based on the type of books you like.  They sent me a Danielle Steel book, an author who I a long time ago enjoyed.  I gave up on her books because they were basically all the same: hunky, gorgeous and rich man - beautiful, poor woman.  You can easily predicate the end of all her books.

I sat down on the sofa, hit the play button on my talking book machine and really tried, truly I did, to stay focused on the reading.  Unfortunately, I didn't hit the pause button before I started snoozing!  The drone of the narrator's voice was just hypnotizing!  I can't see what the difference is between reading a book or listening.  Novels don't have pictures, you just make up images for the characters in your mind.  Yesterday, while listening to the machine, I was incapable of imagining anything!  Maybe the difference is that when I'm reading, I'm actually looking at the words and the story comes to life for me.  I tried to conjure up in my mind images of the characters as well as the scenes and it just didn't work..  Since reading is so difficult for me, and a lifelong passion, I'd better become "one" with talking books!

The talking books have to work for me because the only books I can read now are large type and the local library unfortunately doesn't have a lot of books for me to choose from.  I'm going to give Danielle Steel another try this afternoon and hope that I can get further in the book before I fall asleep!

Maybe if the book had been a mystery or a thriller it might be more exciting than a romance novel!  I'll listen to the book later this afternoon.  At the very least, I'll get in a good nap!

P

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...