Sunday, March 30, 2014

Chiclets


 




 

3/30/3014

Remember this gum?  I have very fond memories of Chiclets because Grandma always had them in her purse and knew as well as I did, that as soon as the gum had lost it's flavor, I'd want another piece!

History:

Chiclets was invented by Thomas Adams who tried to chance chicle into synthetic rubber products but every attempt failed.  In 1869 he popped a piece of surplus stock into his mouth and liked the taste. Chewing away, he had the idea to add flavoring to the chicle. Shortly after, he opened the world's first chewing gum factory. In February 1871, Adams New York Gum went on sale in drug stores for a penny a piece.  

The original flavor was peppermint but many fruit flavors were added and discontinued since the introduction of the gum in 1906.  The colors were: yellow, green, orange, red, purple, white and pink.  I'm guess that peppermint was the most popular, but a guess is all it is.

Chiclets came, and still do, in small boxes easily carried in purses and pockets.At some point mini Chiclets were produced and then you had all the flavors in one little box, which is and was a very cool way to get all the flavors in one convenient package.


 

I don't chew gum anymore - it makes my jaw hurt!  Of course, my incessant talking doesn't!  Mind over matter perhaps?

P



1 comment:

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...