Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Let's Make A Deal!

3/12/2014

One of the perks, and I assure you there not many, is watching game shows during the day.  I only allow myself one hour during the day.  Please don't ask how many hours I allow myself at night!

My favorite show is Let's Make A Deal and Wayne Brady is the host.  It's a fun show filled with some pretty fabulous prizes and some "Zonks" (like a cardboard camel riding a cardboard surfboard).  I am amazed at the enthusiasm for some of the prizes.  Somebody wins a pool table and the winner goes crazy.  Me, with my perpetual glass half empty attitude, can only wonder if the winner even has a place for something so large on their house/apartment.  You need a really big room to accommodate something so big.

Some people win ski equipment, designer shoes, his and her watches (that aren't attractive at all - just saying), a boat (which would be really a lot of fun if you lived in a land locked state.  Sometimes the winner gets a new kitchen, complete with a free standing range (I thought just about everybody had a stove top and a separate oven.  Perhaps I'm wrong about that.  But if I won that prize, I'd be taking pictures and posting on Craigslist!

Some of the trips that people win are very nice, others not so much.  Who wants to take a vacation to let's say Salt Lake City?  I'm sure it's a beautiful city, but it's never been on my top ten of places to visit.  Maybe I'm just jealous because the contestants have won something.  As for myself, I can't even get lucky on a scratch off ticket, and I've never ever won so much as a dollar!  Sad but true.

The cars that people win are all stick shift and I'm pretty sure I'd never be able, or for that matter, want to drive a car that isn't automatic. I think it would bet difficult to get this old broad to develop a new driving skill!

Then there's the taxes! Most of us know if we win a cash prize, there are taxes to pay. Big prizes mean big taxes. But many game show contestants don't realize when they win merchandise, there's also tax to pay, and you might not get out the door with your prize until some of that tax is paid. 

When the prize is merchandise or travel, appliances, a car or a cruise, that's a different ballgame.  One contestant won $33,000 in prizes of "The Price is Right".  After the show, the contestant whisked backstage for a dose of reality - the tax issues.

Remember - nothing in life is free - there is a price to be paid - eventually!.

So for me, I think I would rather watch the game shows on TV and watch the game host give away prizes to people who seem to be really thrilled to have won a new blender (does anybody use them any more?) and an inexpensive stand mixer (the mixer is never a Kitchen Aid, but a more generic mixer - i.e., less expensive ). My entertainment is watching the over-the-top reaction when somebody wins something.  And when I see what the prize is - more often than not - I'm glad it wasn't me taking something home that I really don't want, or worse yet, have no place to put it in my house.

I know that if I don't buy a lottery ticket, I'll never win!  So if I don't win, it's definitely my fault.  But actually I'm okay with that.

P

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...