Monday, March 17, 2014

Fiestaware

3/17/2014

If your of a certain age, and I assume you are, then you remember Fiestaware. Old Fiestware    Fiesta is a line of ceramic dinnerware that was glazedin differing solid colors manufactured and marketed by the Homer Laughlin China Company in West Virginia. The original shapes, glazes and concept of combining various colors were designed by the company's art director in the 1930s. The dinnerware was introduced for retail sales to great success in 1936. Homer Laughlin withdrew Fiesta from production in 1973 in response to declining sales before reintroducing the line in 1985. Some of the original shapes were redesigned.

In an early Homer Laughlin Company brochure stated:
"COLOR! that's the trend today..." and it went on to say, "It gives the hostess the opportunity to create her own table effects....... Plates of one color, Cream Soups of another, contrasting Cups and Saucers....it's FUN to set a table with Fiesta!"
 While many collectors love all the colors, some only want the "original 6" or "Fifties Colors which were:Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Old Ivory.   By 1938, two years into production, a sixth color was added: Turquoise. 

The Yellow glaze is the one glaze that was in production throughout the life of vintage Fiesta. Turquoise, while not an original color (having been introduced about a year into Fiesta's production) was otherwise also in continuous production until the end of the original vintage era in 1969. Although it was brought back into production from 1959 to 1969, this was after most of the unusual serving pieces had long been discontinued. Red pieces also usually command a premium price in the secondary market, both for its vibrancy in the mix of colors and for its scarcity due to limited years of production. While many collectors love all the colors, some only want those of the "Original 6" or "Fifties Colors".

People today want more muted colors like: sunflower, lapis and peacock. You can still find old pieces and the colors are just as vibrant today as they were back when manufactured.

My Grandmother loved Fiestaware and when we stayed at her house, setting the table was such fun. One place setting might have a green plate, a red salad bowl, a gray cup with a yellow saucer.  It was so much fun and Grandma didn't mind in the least when she came to the table and saw the hodgepodge of colors.  I actually believe that she liked looking at all the colors.  Place settings of just one color get boring, it's much more fun to mix things up.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of Grandma's Fiestaware.  I have bought several water pitchers but the colors pale in comparison to my memories!  If I had a lot of money, I would seek out and buy vintage pieces, which would bring my Grandmother back to me when I sat my table with a vibrant 
mix of colors.

Maybe you also have a special memory of your grandmother and that memory will remain with you forever, I promise.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...