Friday, March 28, 2014

Remembering Fashion



1960s Twin Set  Cardigan & Sweater Vintage Knitting Pattern pdf Instant Download





3/28/2014

 When you look back at some of the things you wore when you were younger, you can't help but wonder what you were thinking.  I know that I fell into that group!  But being "in" was just as important way back then as it is today.  And, just like today, there were hits and misses, but at the time none of that mattered.  You JUST had to fit in.

I was, as some of you were, part of the Bobby Sock generation. These socks were white and had a thick cuff that when the sock was cuffed (and they were always cuffed), were ankle height.  They were the height of fashion and some socks were adored with lace or ribbons.  I had a pair of socks that had little bells sewn on.  Obviously, the ONE time I wore them to school was also the LAST time!  They made too much noise, especially if you spent most of class time dangling your legs!


Then their was the poodle skirt which came along in the 50's.  I never had a poodle skirt probably because Mom never made me one.  Mom made most of my clothes until I was a teenager.  But I do envy the other girls who swirled around in their pretty skirts.


In the 60's everybody who was anybody had to have a "Granny" dress.  When I look back, I can't imagine what we teenagers were thinking.  They were all the rage and I had one, but the look wasn't flattering to most of us.

 Charming Vintage 60s Blue Boho Granny Peasant Maxi Dress, S or M



After we went through our "On The Prairie" phase, mini skirts became the new must have.  The  skirt had to be above the knee and the shorter the better, which made sitting down a bit tricky..  Unfortunately, it wasn't a skirt that just everybody could wear - then or now.




AMERICAN VINTAGE Mini skirt

Also in the 60's you were NOBODY if you didn't have a ruffled blouse, also called a Twister blouse (don't ask me why).  I, like all my girlfriends HAD to have one and after much whining got one.  Yeah.  Oh, but I had forgotten about the ironing.  In those days everything had to be ironed and a blouse that was all ruffles  was a ---ch to iron, so I didn't wear it as much as I would have liked.  Let's face it, I'm a bit lazy and I'm glad that my ironing board is just collecting dust in a backroom.

1960's Womens Shirt

Lucky for us girls today, ruffles are pretty much a thing of the past.  AND pants and/or jeans is now considered a necessary part of the wardrobe.  I didn't get my first pair of jeans until I was 16 because my Mother wouldn't allow me to have them.  A friend took me shopping and I came home with white jeans, and I was allowed to keep them.  I think Mom figured that it was a battle she wasn't going to win - and she was right.

And last, but not least was our sweater set days. There was also a period when every thing you wore had to match.  We also wore sweater clips and anybody who was anybody had one or two sets of clips.  



1960s Twin Set  Cardigan & Sweater Vintage Knitting Pattern pdf Instant Download  

Obviously, this isn't all the fashion fads that we suffered through.  Trust me, there was more.  I just hope that seeing these images will bring back some happy memories for you ladies. 

P


2 comments:

  1. Funny...I was not allowed jeans either, but started wearing corduroy in the 8th grade. Some trip to Illinois I was given a pair of bell bottom jeans from a friend. I never looked back!!!!

    Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me either. Don't know what was up with jeans and Mom. She'd be shocked to see that most people are in jeans at least half of their time!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...