Thursday, October 31, 2019

Happy Halloween

10/31/2019

I don't know about your weather, but here it is a gloomy, rainy day, with rain in the forecast. And, because Mother Nature has no mercy, we're going to have strong winds around 6:00 pm. The weather may keep some children away, except for perhaps teenagers.

When my brother and I were young, Mother made our costumes. We went as king and queen,with the appropriate colors done in crepe paper. We were both wearing very dark colors for our "robes". Unfortunately, it was raining that night, and by the time we got home, our skin had been "dyed"! Use your imagination - if that dress were to get wet, well you get the idea.
 
Image result for crepe paper for costumes 

As we got older, our costumes weren't as elaborate as being king and queen. In France, we dressed as hobos, and we had "cigars" that blew "smoke". Yes, we were children, which isn't much of an excuse, but when we got to somebody's home, once they answered the door, we "blew the smoke" into the air. We thought it was funny. Parents not so much.

 

Fast forward to the present, and going trick or treating, sometimes could harm a child. There was a time when people would give out apples, with razor blades inside. My research today, shows that was, for the most part, not true. When Scott and Andrew were little, Jeff or myself would pull them in a small wagon to go house to house. They were little children, and cute (not prejudiced I swear). 

As they got older, and went out by themselves, I told them every year, not to eat any candy, until they got home. There was two reasons for this: (a) we put all the candy out on the table, remove apples, popcorn balls and any other treat that was homemade; and (b) with the candy on the table, Jeff and I (mostly me), could pick through the candy, and take a few pieces of our favorite candy. 

When children are young, a lot of them carry those little plastic jack o' lanterns. Those little buckets didn't hold much candy (which I'm sure the parents liked). And, then we come to teenagers. They arrive on your doorstop carrying a pillow case. They are not cute by any means. Just want to get candy - a lot of candy. Leftover candy? We're giving out mini Snicker bars. We live on the top of a hill, and it is a dead end. Most years, some children simply don't want to come up on our street. And, with weather such as it is today, only the real hard core (teens I suppose), will stay out for a long time.

As I write this, the wind has already arrived, and the tree that I can see from my window is beginning to sway. 

Happy Halloween everybody. Tomorrow, it'll be November (where did the months go)?


Image result for picture of halloween 


P

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...