Monday, October 28, 2019

Sorry I'm Late

10/28/2019

Sorry about being late this morning. I do have a good excuse. Jeff and I had early doctors' appointments. This appointment was so early, we had to set the alarm! Ugh. For all of our working years, as well as for you, that stupid alarm chirps every morning. Once retired, there are very few times that you have to get up. And, since there are so many things to deal with, sleeping in is wonderful. Unfortunately, for Jeff, the girls let him know when it's time to get up. They're anxious for breakfast. 

We stayed up last night to watch the ballgame. We were rooting for the home team, but in the end, all of our yelling at the television (a true waste of time), the Nationals didn't win. They just didn't seem to be on their "A" game. Perhaps the next game, will have a different outcome. I'd cross my fingers, but for obvious reasons can't type that way. I'm good, but not that good!

Years ago, Word Perfect (remember them?), had a typing contest. I never applied to take the test, but I could have. I've been typing since junior high on a manual typewriter. This was the kind that when you got to the end of a line, you had to manually return the typewriter to the next line. And, there was a small bell that would warn you that you were close to reaching the end of the line.You know me, I have to check random things out, so here is my finding:

The highest typing speed ever recorded was 216 words per minute (wpm), set in 1946, using an IBM electric typewriter. Currently, the fastest English language typist is Barbara Blackburn, who reached a peak typing speed of 212 wpm during a test in 2005.


For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of typing on a manual typewriter, learning to use it, and use it well, required very strong pinkies to hit certain keys. Since it was a manual, you did have to press all the keys hard, but it does take awhile to build up strength in your pinkies!

Once we moved on to electric typewriters, a good typist, could type without looking at the keys. I had one class, where all the keys were covered up. Since you couldn't see letters, you had to rely on your memory to hit the right key.

Most typing tests that I took over the years, by wpm was slowed down a bit, because I had to take my paper out, go to the other side, and begin typing again. 

I may be retired, but I type every day, my blog for instance. The problem I'm having right now, is that sometimes I don't remember where to find things like &, #. This is frustrating.  

We had the top down on the car for our ride back home. Thanks to modern things like a wind screen, you can probably keep the top down, most of the time, unless it's raining.

I hope you are having, or will have, a great day. It's beautiful fall weather here in Maryland.

P
 








 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...