Thursday, October 24, 2019

They Won Again

10/24/2019

And who am I talking about? Oh, you know, the Nationals baseball team. That's two wins in a row, pushing them onward to hopefully making it to the ultimate challenge - winning the world series.

The last time a world series game was played in D.C was in 1933! Okay, that's definitely a long time ago. We're more than overdue to be the champions. Tickets today, are pricey at best. The most expensive ticket for one person is $4,424.00. That is madness. You can also buy tickets for standing, that will set you back the least amount of money. But, remember you have to stand! It costs me nothing to watch it from home - no commute, no drinks being spilled on me (and yes, that has happened at some other venue we attended), and, of course, not having to pay huge prices for baseball food. 

In 1933, tickets cost $6.60, or $130.35 in 2019. Wow, I know the tickets were low back then, and $6.00 might have been a scramble for some folks. When you see below how much a person made a week, then you can also see that purchasing a ticket for $6.00, might have been a hardship. A quick look at food. Hot dogs cost around $6.75 today and beer around $11.00. I guess long gone are the words "buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks". I don't know for sure, but I don't know if you can still buy cracker jacks.

So let's look back at 1933:
 
Consider the cost of living. In 1933, a gallon of gas cost 10 cents, a pound of hamburger meat was 11 cents, and a loaf of bread was seven cents. A can of Campbell's Vegetable Soup was priced at 10 cents.

The average wage for a laborer was $20 per week and an average house rented for $18 per month. An average new house cost $5,750.

Automobiles: The 1933 Ford Model 40 Victoria was priced at $595. A Buick with a rumble seat cost $825, but the Buick 60 series would set you back $1,350. Plymouth 6 models ranged from $445 to $545.

Back to today. Prices all things baseball are way higher than back in 1933. But, we have television now, so if we want to avoid the crowds, we stay home. 

  Then:

The Washington Senators' Griffith Stadium during the 1933 World Series

and Now:


Baseball Field, Stadium, Baseball, Field 


P
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...