Friday, October 18, 2019

Scam Alert

10/18/2019

I want to tell all of you about a huge scam that is going around. Unfortunately, I received a phone call from someone identifying themselves as calling from Social Security. This alone should have sent multiple red flags. But, they didn't. She asked for my SSN, which in a case of pure stupidity, I gave her.

The woman told me that my SSN has been stolen and is being used in Texas to buy illicit drugs. I would face prison time and/or pay a fine of $98,000. I continued to press this woman for a phone number where I could call her back. Did I need a lawyer? Remember, at this point, I still believed this was a legitimate call.

After being pressured by me (and know I didn't send any money!) she just hung up on me. I then went to research this scam, which has affected approximately 75,000 people and 19 million people have lost money to this latest scam.

I did send emails to the attorney general, and all other officials that I could think of. I then called the bank and alerted them: there should be no charges from Texas, and to look for unusual and perhaps higher than usual charges. 

At the moment, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that since I didn't give out all of my information, nor did I send money, I should be okay. Warning: if you get a call from "Social Security", and by the way they don't call, just hang up the phone.

I'll switch horses now. There is an article in the paper about an 83 year old woman, who received a "Notice of Lease Violation". Her crime: taking too many cookies from social gatherings.  And, to make her more of a criminal, she also took a bottle of milk. The milk makes sense, because milk and cookies go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

In the letter she received, stated that she must immediately cease taking and/or attempting to remove food, or beverages from community events.  She then received another email titled Notice of Lease Termination, and the violation, was not remediable . Really? All this fuss about cookies and milk. Seriously? She was told to vacate her apartment by October 17th, and her first notice of this situation was sent to her on September 16th. If I could, I would apologize to her in person for having to put up with all of this nonsense, particularly at her age. 

Remember, if you ever go to a community event, don't take too many cookies! Sad.

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...