Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Proof That You're You!

10/1/2019

I don't know about your state, but here in Maryland and Virginia, we have to prove who we are. We have until 2020 to do this, but I'd rather do this sooner than later. With the kind of luck I have, it's a possibility that I'll get to the MVA and need another document. Grrr.

You have to show your social security card - check

A bill or some other evidence like that, to prove I guess your address - check

Birth Certificate - I actually didn't have one, and don't know why I didn't, but had to order this certificate from Illinois. And, it took forever to get here - check.

A Social Security Statement - check 

And, obviously your driver's license - check

I think I have everything I need. Good news is that you can actually make an appointment to present the documents. Once you're "good", you get a new driver's license with a star in the corner. The star means that you have provided valid documents and that you're "legal". 

For some people, this process might be arduous. Where is the birth certificate, statement of Social Security Benefits Statement, and other documents as well. And, until you get to the MVA, you might not know what documents(s) you really need. This takes up a lot of time, not to mention energy, to get this done.

Luckily, I have a folder entitled "Marriage and Divorce", where most of those documents live. And, I typed the folder label. Some of you may remember the typewriter. All the files that I created years ago, are now yellowed with age. And, those labels may be old, but they are still stuck on the folders!

For instance, I have a folder for each car - whether we still have it or not. Payroll stubs - why do I keep these? Jeff doesn't like change, but I don't like throwing out memories. For instance, in the days when you actually carried a checkbook in your purse, there were copies of each check you wrote. I have kept them all. Why? Because the checks to the Gingerbread House (pre-school), groceries, and everything in between, remind me of a long ago time, when Jeff and I were young. Going through the check registry brings me back to the 70's. I don't remember when we, as well as others, started using credit cards, and moved away from writing checks.

Did a little research (and you're saying to yourself, of course I did). The first credit card was a Diner's card in 1950. The first Visa card came out in 1958. I know you all have been dying to know this information !!!

Signing off. I'm reading a book, which I'm enjoying very much, and want to start reading again.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...