Thursday, March 20, 2014

Quiet Elevators

3/19/2014

We've all been there of course. And where is that exactly?  The inside of an elevator packed with passengers standing elbow to elbow.  When I see a jumbo packed elevator, I've been known to walk away - I'll snap my fingers as if I had just remembered that I needed to do something - anything to avoid getting on that elevator. 

It's not that I don't like people, but my friends also know that I am a reclusive person with a capital "R"!.  I hate being smashed into a small space with a lot of people who are strangers.  Ever notice the unspoken elevator rules?  No?  Next time you're on an elevator, watch your fellow passengers.  All or some of them will constantly check their cellphones as if some new urgent message has just arrived!  There is little to no eye contact and nobody smiles.  You might get, if you're lucky, a quick nod from somebody, but that's about it.  And forget about any conversation, other than the a quick mention of the weather, or last night's game.  Stuff like that.

Next time you're on an elevator, like probably today, observe your fellow passengers, you will see, among other things: a fascination with shoes, watch checking, pulling down sleeves, futzing with hair, checking the contents of a purse, and/or try to give an air of importance because of the stack of paper/files they carry with them.

When I'm on an elevator - reluctantly - I'm generally stuck at the back and need to be the first person off!  Then comes having to jockey my way to the front of the elevator, all the while trying not to invade anybody's personal space, which is not easy to do.  

So if you ever find yourself "lucky" enough to be on an elevator with me, no worries I won't engage you with idle conversation to cover up the quiet!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...