Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Sleep Study

9/16/2014

Last night was my doctor ordered sleep test.  I hadn't had one since 2006 and she thought, as did I, that it was time to make sure the pressure on my machine was at the right setting. Sleep studies are done at night (duh), so we arrived at Hopkins around 8:30 pm.  I had packed a little bag with toiletries (minimal) and pj's.

Once in my room, I undressed and got into those said pj's.  Then the nurse person came in and ran two belts around my chest. Those sticky pads on my chest and legs.  Okay, that's the simple part.  On the bed are strings of wire - black, yellow, red all stretched out nice and neat.

Since I've done this before, I knew what to expect: goo in my hair with little electrodes attached to my head and all these wires trailing behind me.  The first time I did a sleep study, I thought that I would never be able to fall asleep.  Oh contrar.  Even hooked up like the Bride of Frankenstein, you are actually able to sleep with all the wires attached to your head.

Last night was a repeat performance of my first study. Only difference this time was that my doctor wanted me to sleep two hours without a CPAP machine.  After two hours, the nurse put a mask on me and I thought I might have trouble falling back asleep - nope - no trouble at all.

I was awakened at 5:00 this morning, was unhooked, took a shower and out the door by 6:00 am. Jeff picked me up and took me to Bob Evans (love breakfast out). I had French Toast, which was delicious.  a quick stop at WalMart to get the weekly essentials and back home. 

Combined with not a great night's sleep because the bed was so soft, and a pain pill after walking around WalMart, I suspect that if I leaned back in my recliner, I'd be able to doze off!

It seems likely that the pressure setting on my machine will be raised, which is okay.  I'm also okay with knowing that I won't have to take another sleep test for several years.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...