Wednesday, September 17, 2014

My New "Job"

9/17/2014

It's not really a job, but it is a job.  Confused?  No worries.  I started volunteering at the Humane Society of America on Monday, doing the type of clerical work I have done for years.  I wasn't expecting, but I have my own cube, and you all know it's been a long time since I've been in an office.

I don't have a set schedule as yet, but will probably work four days a week for "x" (to be determined) hours a day.  They need help with data entry, filing, and who knows what else.  I will tell you this, when I came home on Monday afternoon, I felt useful, very, very useful.  Been a long time since I have felt like I made a difference to someone.  

Today, I'm taking in a few small things to define my space.  I'm also bringing in my easy to read guide to Word 2010, just in case my memory blogs down while I'm trying to do something.  

What I like about volunteering is that I can, more or less, make my own schedule around doctor's visits, etc.  For the first time in my working career, I don't have to check other secretaries' schedules to see if any of my appointments, conflicts with the schedules of others. 

An added bonus of working with the HUSA is that just about everybody has a dog in their offices or cubes.  I will tell you that the few times I've been to the their office, I have never heard a dog bark or whine.  That seems pretty amazing to me. 

Another thing that amazes me is how quiet the office is in general.  I am used to a large law department with a lot of not yelling, but talking over cube walls and phones constantly ringing.  On my new desk there is a phone - it has one line - mine.  The stress level is low, which is something I need now.  I was thrilled when the woman I'm going to work for wanted me after reading my application.  

A new sense of worth for me, and that's a good thing.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...