Friday, September 12, 2014

The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling!

9/12/2014

Remember chicken little?  No?  The little chicken (cartoon) was always calling out that the sky is falling - which it never did.

I'm checking all the news that is news that's fit to report and found this little version of the sky is falling.

Storms are coming from the sun and it's raining down a huge amount of radiation. We're safe, but the storm could knock out power, interfere with GPS and radio communications, including those on commercial airliners.  If we lost power we might have to resort to - HORRORS- reading a book or playing a game

Experts say the combined energy from two recent solar events will arrive at Earth on Saturday, prompting the wait. What kind of watch? The sun is a giant ball of gas and every now and then, it spits out a giant burst of radiation called a coronal mass ejection. 

On March 13, 1989, a solar storm knocked out power for the entire province of Quebec for 12 hours. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what, if anything, happens on Saturday.  While I don't think you'll need them, perhaps you should locate your flashlight as well as batteries,

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...