Monday, November 23, 2020

Talking About Friday!

 11/23/2020

Good morning everyone. This is a happy week. There are only three working days this week, and subsequently, only three for me as well. When I was working, I always looked forward to any three day weekend. So many possibilities for those days, but sleeping in was a priority for yours truly.

On Friday, Stacey (DIL), who like Wendy (DIL), are very busy women. They run their homes, home school their children, etc. 

Needless to say I was thrilled when Stacey called and suggested a play day. We all know that I don't leave the house very often. And no, in my opinion, WalMart isn't really an outing, at least for me. 

The first stop was a store called "Donation Nation". Think of a swap meet, but being inside, which is much nicer. Obviously, the prices are very reasonable. And most, not all, are being sold for just a few dollars. I picked out a few things to buy. When I went inside, I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to find anything that I neither wanted or needed. 

I bought two cobalt blue jars with lids. Did I need them? Of course not. Did I want them? Sure I did. So far, those beautiful jars are still sitting on my kitchen table. Which goes to show, that you shouldn't buy, something that is merely pretty, but serves no purpose.

I did buy a beautiful bear, that is now sitting on the back of the sofa. It has no purpose, but I just like having him there. I've given some thought, to putting more stuffed animals or dolls, on the couch. We don't get a lot of company, so our formal couch is just that -- Formal. 

While shopping at Target, I bought a lot of things. I bought gifts, of course. It is that season after all. A beautiful cranberry wreath, which is very pretty on our green door. Since it's not actually a Christmas wreath, I may leave it up through the winter. 

More things bought for my sister box, which I'm hoping we'll be able to send out perhaps this week. You can pretty much buy anything for your sister box. But, you have to wrap each item. My wrapping skills are awful. I use a lot of tape, and if the gift is going to any of the girls, I put on one of those sticky bows. Classy!

The one thing that my sister and I agreed on, was that each of us would put a hard back book in the box. Too many of the paper backs, tend to use smaller print. And, when it comes to reading, bigger is better!

Our last stop was at a used book store. I took my new and very small rollator (sp), into the store. I can do real damage in a book store. It doesn't matter to me, in the least, if a book is old or new. While I was in the store, I bought books that I wanted to read. But, I also bought books that were very old. I like these old books, mostly because of their age, and the smell of old, yellowed pages. Do I read any of these? Nope - just decorations I guess you could call it. In my mind, you can never have too many books. I generally donate books I've read. Other than my sister, who lives in California, do I know of other "bookie" !! I read a lot of books, or as Jeff would tell you, I scan a lot of books. And, it's true that I don't always read every line. If I scan through a page, I get the jest (write word? write spelling?) of that page. There are also pages where I read every page, mostly because I need to follow along with the author. In my mind, I have written several books. Pen to paper? Not so much. It's not like I don't have time to write. But of late, I have lost my mojo when it comes to writing.

Jeff and I have a shared Christmas list on Amazon. It's a private list because it's really a list of things that I might buy for somebody in the family. Just about every day, I add and/or delete something on that list. I have to make a hard call, will the recipient like and/or enjoy what I give them?

Christmas decorating has never been a thing after Scott moved out. Scott does Christmas decorations and lighting to perfection. In the past, there would be lights on the roof, around the porch, as well as the bushes in front of the house. And, they were beautiful, and much admired. 

Since the boys et al don't come to the house often. Scott comes home when he's seeing a customer in the area. Andrew? He was here a few years ago, when I asked the boys to help with some yard work. I don't know of any reason that keeps him from visiting. Perhaps, he doesn't like it here for whatever reason, and that's okay. Every person has their own reasons why they do, or do not, something. It's not my place to try and determine what that reason is.

Probably like you, we will be spending Thanksgiving at home. Better to be safe than sorry. Jeff and I will have a smaller version of our dinners in the past. I'm fairly positive, that we'll have "tovers" (left overs) for the next day or two.

Andrew, maintains a site, I guess you could call it that, of movies, etc. Yesterday, I sent him a short list of movies that Jeff and I can enjoy over the long weekend. I have my fingers crossed, that I've picked wisely!

Stay well. Talk to you tomorrow.

P


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...