Friday, January 22, 2021

It's Sunny Outside

 1/22/2021

We're ending the week, with a lot of sunshine, and a beautiful blue sky. This is the kind of weather, that fills me with optimism. 

The weatherman last night, said something about the "S" word - snow. Since Jeff and I seldom leave the house, having snow, wouldn't affect us at all.

Actually, truth be told, since we had little or no snow last winter, I think that it might be nice to have some of that white stuff on the ground. Since I'm retired, I no longer have to listen to the recorded message: closed, partially close, open, etc. When the boys were younger, and I worked for two attorneys, their snow days were spent at the office with me. Binder clips were never so organized! Later, I would put the things they organized, back in their original place. But, they were able to play outside, and come inside, when they were cold. Best of both worlds for Scott and Andrew. And, for me as well.

Nothing strikes terror, for a parent, to be told that schools were closed. Arrgh. You took the day off, with vacation days, if you still had them, or lose a day or two without pay.

Eventually, the boys were old enough to stay in the house by themselves. We live at the top of a hill, so sledding was a lot of fun for them. Just be aware of traffic at the END of the street!

For the most part, the boys were okay with staying home by themselves. But, there was once an incident, where the boys wanted to go outside, but they had a fire going in the den. Before they went outside, I told the boys to remember to shut the glass doors. What I forgot to mention, is that you couldn't just close those doors while there was a small fire still going. I'm at fault, for not telling them to keep the doors open. The result? After the doors were closed, all of the glass, exploded, more or less. I got the call, because it seems always easier to talk to Mom. There was glass everywhere. When Jeff and I both were home, all of us started picking up the pieces. This always entailed removing glass from the gaskets that surrounded the fireplace. Happy to report, that eventually, we found most of the glass, except for the very little pieces. Naturally, when the glass doors were replaced, that occurrence never happened again. The boys had learned a lesson that day, and one they would never forget.

Once the boys left home, and it was up to Jeff to bring in the wood, and keep the fireplace going. It was a lot of work, as well as being messy. Solution? Use natural gas, to stop and start fires. It's wonderful to just press a button.  Downside? There is no woodsy smell, but there is also no embers popping out onto the carpet. 

When Jeff does his weekly shop, and I no longer go along, he sees plenty of shoppers filling their carts with water. I don't know where they live, but here at home, the tap water is perfectly fine to drink. The boys also know, that if their running out of food, there is always food in our house!

I know the time of this blog, wasn't early in the morning. But I have to watch at least one loop of news. Bad as it can possibly be.

Stay safe, get vaccinated when it's your turn.

P




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...