Thursday, January 7, 2021

Yesterday

 1/7/2021

There is only way to describe, at least in polite society, is wow!  Jeff and I spent several hours yesterday, watching history. Albeit terrible history. The kind of history, that you will remember all the days of your life. For example, I remember, and perhaps you do as well, where I was when President Kennedy was assassinated. I was in junior high, and the schools were closed for the day. 

I know that when I got home, my parents were glued to the television. Remember, that at that time, there were very few television channels to choose from. As a preteen, I hadn't developed an interest, in many things that were happening around me.

Fast forward many years, and I now watch the morning and evening news.

The election last year, voted Biden as the new President. These two political parties, Democrat, and Republican, left the country deeply divided.  camps. Democrat or Republican, you choose.

The recounting of votes, over and over again, left all of us in limbo. This has never happened before. You run for office, you lose, you leave. It's as simple as that.

But, yesterday, left me sad and confused. Were there that many people who, like the President, really believed that he had won the election. There were, no fake votes, or duplicate votes from people who died, or lastly, dumping votes into a river. Such nonsense.

And, then yesterday, D.C., was overrun by protestors. Clarification, Trump's supporters. What probably started quietly (I actually don't know this), turned into a horror show. Around the world, heads of states, couldn't understand yesterday's actions. Frankly, at this time, I believe, we have definitely not showed the rest of the world how democracy happens. Unfortunately, just the opposite.

Protest, if you must. But, to have people die during this protest, is unnecessary. When the protesting started getting ugly, that's when no amount of police presence, could stop this mob. They went into the offices of some people, such as Nancy Pelosi, dumped papers all over the floor, sat in her chair (very disrespectful), and took selfies.

Washington, was not the only protest going through the country. Some, but not all, states, also had protesting. For instance, Georgia   Kansas (this I can't imagine) Idaho, Michigan and California, as well as other cities around the country.

I can only imagine, and I hope I'm wrong, that there will be more protesting on the 20th. When people or sports teams are defeated, they congratulate the other team, lick their wounds, or egos, and go home.

In this country, there are Democrats and Republicans. For months, at least it feels that long, people have begun feuding. I understand,

The First Amendment protects your right to assemble and express your views through protest. I'm sure that when the Constitution was written, our forefathers couldn't have begun to imagine the events of yesterday. 

Yesterday, in movie terms, would be an action film A movie, that no amount of popcorn, could erase those events.

I, do applaud, Vice-President Pence, for being such a strong leader, which we badly need at this time.

As for the administration, there have been people, who have, or will jump ship. You can't blame them. You know when your ship is going down, that you don't necessarily have to go down also.

Most of you know, that I don't "do" politics. But, today, I just had to go there.

Apologies.

P






No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...