Monday, December 3, 2012

December Movies

12/3/2012

December Movies

In addition to all the usual fa-la-la's everywhere at the moment, there are also romantic Christmas movies on television - pretty much all the time.  And I love it.  I think the top contenders in mush and gush are the Hallmark and Lifetime channels.

I am showing some signs of restraint this year because I'm ONLY watching the new 2012 movies because I'm pretty sure I've seen all of the others.  These movies are basically Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty type movies for grownup women.  Instead of riding up to save the day on a white horse it's now the latest Infiniti, BMW or Mercedes.  The plots may change slightly but they all have three things in common: it's Christmas time, there's a woman (beautiful) and a man (handsome).  It's the stuff of fairy tales.

One of the major players suffers from one or several of the following: a bah humbug attitude, broke and down on their luck (always seems to be the woman) and/or an indifferent, rich, self-centered guy.  You know the drill - beautiful music is played, Romeo waltzes in to the shop/office/house and sees Juliet and knows in a brief moment that she's the one.  I know the story changes slightly from movie to movie but in the end all is well, snow is falling (gently) and Romeo and Juliet are together and the movie ends on a high note.

Even with all the over the top sugary goodness of these movies I still enjoy parking myself on the sofa and watching each and every one of them.  My theory is that the fantasy world is often times better than the reality world we live in.  To be sure there are real life Romeo's who swoop in to save a woman.  I know it's true, I live with one.  When I met Jeff I was only making $100 a week before taxes and my cupboards were bare.  No carols were playing in the background when Jeff invited me out for our first date but that didn't matter to me or him.  He didn't drive a fancy $50,000 automobile it was an old Chevy Malibu - but it was white!  In true Hallmark love story style, he paid off a dress I had on lay-away and bought me groceries - not quite as romantic as what's on tv - but made all the difference to me at the time.  As far as I was concerned my true life hero had arrived.

My Tivo recording schedule to set for the next week with my once a year romantic marathon of movies.  I don't subject Jeff to watching them with me - I get that they are a tad (okay maybe more than a tad) over the top but the boy meets girl story is still my favorite.

Have a great Monday because I will.  Stacey and Ben are coming down this afternoon to spend the night with us and it's been a while since we've seen him.  That one email message from Stacey has made my day - so this Monday is going to be fantastic!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...