Saturday, December 15, 2012

Vanity - Going, Going, Gone

12/15/2012

Vanity - Going, Going, Gone

Slowly through the years and while I wasn't noticing I became less vain.  Comfort began to take precedence over fashion.  First it was clothes.  Elastic waists are a mainstay of my wardrobe and while they don't really project style, they are comfortable to wear and forgiving!

Then it was my shoes.  I haven't owned a pair of heels in 20 years and now only wear shoes from one manufacturer - SAS.  The company makes very comfortable shoes and in the past few years have begun to move away from really old lady-type shoes to some that are equally comfy but don't scream "old lady coming through".  Since I know exactly what size I need, I buy some of my shoes on Ebay where the prices are lower - and I don't actually have to go in to a store (double bonus).  To be fair if I call the SAS outlet in Hagerstown, they will mail me shoes, I just have to pay full price.

I gave up on make-up a long time ago too.  I look the same at 6:00 am as I do at 6:00 pm with the exception of my easy to maintain hair may be a bit more mussed in the morning.  Lipstick is my complete make-up routine on a daily basis.  If it's a special occasion I can reach into the back of the drawer and find some other magical items to use.  Problem is if I find them they are likely dried out and because I don't use "products" very often I'm not overly adept at using them!  

The final blow to any remaining shreds of vanity that I had ended this week.  I have suffered from bursitis in my hip for 12 years and on Monday a physical therapist at Hopkins gave me a cane!  And I use it and it makes a difference.  Who knew?  The cane is of course utilitarian and came in one color - black.  To my curious coworkers I told them it was a new fashion accessory and that black was slimming. My close friends at work know exactly why I have "Betsy" by my side and I discovered that after the initial shock most people don't find me any more interesting than before.  

Me being me meant that I had to go poke around on the internet to see what "accessories" canes have.  Turns out there are several.  One that is super practical is an ice grip that attaches to the bottom so you can walk during winter a bit easier.  There is a cane hanger to be used at tables when you're eating (I'll probably pass on that).  But the coolest accessory is cane covers.  These are sleeves that "disguise" the cane - more or less.  I have already ordered a bright red sleeve and am hoping that Stacey (DIL) will be able to make me seasonal coverings (bunnies, hearts, shamrocks, etc.) so that I can change my look as I please.  Perhaps gold lame for New Year's would be suitable.

At work we have a commercial shredder and there are always pieces of shredded paper on the floor.  I suggested to my coworkers that I could put sticky tape on the bottom of the cane and pick them up!   I suppose I could also use the cane to poke at Jeff when he is sleeping through a television show.

How long I will have to use the cane is anybody's guess.  I hate to admit this but it does make walking less painful and that was the purpose.  As someone once said - growing old is not for sissies.

My thanks to Jeff for pinch writing for me yesterday.  He did a good job and perhaps I should encourage him to be a more regular blogger.

Have a happy Saturday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...