Thursday, December 20, 2012

Fireplace Saga

12/20/2012

Fireplace Saga

You remember that Jeff gifted me with a gas log fireplace a few months ago.  We've had more than our share of problems with the gas insert.  When it works - it's wonderful - when it's not working (which is often) - I don't like it quite so much.  As much as I hate to admit it, our "real" fireplace never broke down.  Messy to be sure and time consuming to bring in the wood - but when you wanted fire - you got fire.

Our first unit (notice I said first) worked fine for several weeks until we noticed one flame that was REALLY tall compared to the rest of the "flames".  Jeff took a picture of the fire and sent it off to the manufacturer.  The result of our picture was a visit from the factory rep as well as the local repairman descending on the house to fix the unit.  Unfortunately, they didn't come prepared to fix what ultimately was broken.  And, it took 3 hours before they diagnosed the problem.

They seemed rather unwilling to overnight a new part for us which was amazing to us because the unit is brand new.  Jeff eventually spoke to the owner of the fireplace shop and he agreed to give us a brand new unit.  They could install it in a WEEK.

We're good natured (most of the time) so we waited out our week and the new unit was installed.  The install people left and for several nights the unit worked properly.  I know you can feel a but coming in here and you're right.  One night it didn't ignite but Jeff was able to make it work manually, which wasn't what I had in mind when I bought the gas insert.

The next night the unit wouldn't light at all, manual or otherwise.  Another call went to the fireplace shop.  They would have someone come out in FIVE days.  And we waited.

Two days ago the repairman arrived and poked around and determined that he had fixed whatever was wrong and left.  That night when we turned it on it took 36 seconds for flames to appear.  That didn't seem right to either of us.

Yesterday morning after I left for work Jeff went to turn the unit on and got - you guessed it - NOTHING.  The repairman did come out right away (you think?) and believes he has found the problem (hopefully finally).  Of course the part that we need is not in stock and will have to be ordered.  Again, overnighting the part didn't seem to be the repairman's initial offering.  However, he was "persuaded".  The part is on it's way.  The million dollar question now is - when will they actually come out and do the repair.  

This gas insert was supposed to allow me to have a "fire" whenever I wanted by pressing a button.  And, I suppose someday (hopefully soon) I'll be able to do just that.  I was really hoping to have a fire on Saturday when the boys et al arrive at the house for our early Christmas.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Happy Thursday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...