Saturday, November 29, 2014

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

11/29/2014

The old dog I'm referred to is me.  The new trick is trying to teach myself how to crochet.  I bought a children's crochet kit that comes with everything you need to get started, including instructions.  Once I got home, I opened up the box and since there was only one hook, started reading the how to's on page one.  I never made it to page two!

Following instructions is something I've never been particularly good at.  I can see the picture and arrows pointing up or down, but somehow in my brain that all gets twisted around until all I end up with is a slipknot on the needle and an hour of frustration!

I bought myself a children's book of crochet yesterday and it comes with all sorts of brightly colored instructions and yet I couldn't manage to make a chain stitch which is apparently the first stitch you need to know how to do.

Not yet ready to throw in the towel, but close to be sure, I went to my computer and typed in learning to crochet.  Up popped dozens of YouTube videos as well as written instructions that I found on the internet.  I was, at this point, feeling really disappointed, but brought my yarn and needle to the computer and watched the same video over and over again.  Eventually, the under/over maneuver necessary to make a stitch started to sink in.  

The reason I decided to try my hand at crocheting was there was only one needle involved.  In my mind having to deal with only one needle would make things easier for me.  Initially, that was not the case.

After many, and I do many, unsuccessful attempts at making my first stitch, I managed to do something right and there was a stitch!  Hurrah.  This morning I took my yarn and needle and was able to make many chain stitches - and I'm proud of myself.  

For those who know me well, also know that arts and crafts don't come easily to me.  I can never seem to grasp written instructions and I had a mother and grandmother who were both very talented with all manner of needle crafts and produced some beautiful needlepoint and crocheted things.  I don't aspire to even begin to contemplate matching their skill level, but I'm teaching myself crocheting one stitch at a time!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...