Saturday, November 8, 2014

Zippers

11/8/2014

The first "Automatic Continuous Clothing Closure" (i.e., the zipper) was patented in 1851.  Forty-two years later a product called "A Clasp Locker" came along.  Then for all the sewers out there, the company Talon, Inc. made zippers - all colors - all sizes.  

I checked and there are many variations of zippers: 

  • coil
  • invisible (which my Mother used when she made my clothes for me in the 60's
  • metallic
  • plastic
  • open or closed ended; and
  • magnetic
For most of the zipper's history, they have served as a necessary item on certain clothes - jeans, coats, etc.  My winter jacket has a zipper on the front, it's there for purpose not design.

Lately, I have noticed that women's dresses and skirts have zippers down the back that are as much a part of the dress as the dress itself.  I'm not sure when having this kind of zipper on clothes became so popular.  It seems like every television show and/or movie has an actress who is wearing a dress with this large, hard to miss, zipper going down their backside.  

Perhaps if my backside looked as good as theirs did, I might want to show off.  But I can assure you that there is nothing about my rear end, that I want to bring attention to!

 

Who knows what the next fashion trend will be, but whatever it is, doubt that it will be something to flatter my body!  Designers don't seem to have much to do with elastic waist clothing!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...