Friday, November 14, 2014

School Calendars

11/14/2014

Our county's Board of Education has decided that beginning in 2015, the calendar will be marked as"winter, spring or summer" breaks.  So going forward there will be no mention of religious holidays on the calendar.  No Christmas, Easter, Yom Kippur, etc.  I think that's sad.  

Have we become so socially "correct" that holidays celebrated by this or that group of people shouldn't even appear on the calendar?  This "new" school calendar has come about because Muslims wanted their major holiday, Eid-al-Adha to be included.  Apparently, the addition of one more religious holiday was just too much for the school board to wrap their heads around.  So, rather than include one more holiday, going forward there will be no indication of anybody's holiday.  

I think one of the beautiful things about people is their differences.  We would be very bored if everybody was exactly the same, in their thinking and beliefs.  Think of the movie, Solent (sp) Green.  I love listening to Christmas carols, it's the music that I grew up with.  Likewise, other people have music that they know and love.

While I don't have a dog in this fight, because the boys are no longer in school, I am sorry for the Board's decision, which I think is short sighted.  

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...