Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thanksgiving

11/13/2014

It's time to pack up your spooky Halloween lights and toss out your Jack-O-Lantern, if you haven't already.  To me it seems that Thanksgiving is the lost holiday.  It is unfortunately wedged between Halloween and Christmas and doesn't receive much attention these days.

I can remember when Thanksgiving meant going to Grandma's house where the smells permeated the air as soon as you opened the door.  I loved the smell of turkey cooking, still do as a matter of fact.  Baked pies - pumpkin and pecan were on the counter and the refrigerator was filled with some of my favorites that we ate only at holidays.

Today's families are spread all over the country and large holiday dinners are getting rarer and rarer. Most families don't live close together and traveling at Thanksgiving and/or Christmas is a logistical nightmare, particularly if you intend to fly.

When the boys were young, I fixed the original Thanksgiving dinners that I knew from my childhood.  There was I believed, no reason to mess with success.  I served good food and lots of it, because who doesn't like leftovers!

Since it's just the two of us this year, I think that rather than try to cook a traditional Thanksgiving meal, we will likely go to Bob Evans and let somebody cook for us.  It just makes sense.  We can always cook a turkey breast and make stuffing and gravy for our "leftovers".  I won't be buying, much less baking, any pies.  Sugar is my downfall and I just can't resist taking small bites out of pies.  A few small bites soon turns into something major as you notice that there is very little pie left!  So if there's no pie in the house, there's no temptation on my part.

I'm not planning on buying many Christmas gifts this year, but I will check out "on line deals" on Thanksgiving and/or the day after.

P



1 comment:

  1. It will be just the 2 of us this year too! We have not decided what will do yet.

    Enjoy your Thanksgiving~!

    m

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...