Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving



Image result for turkey

11/27/2014

Happy turkey day!  This is the one day of the year where most if not all people eat their favorite foods at the table and then stagger to the sofa to rest and/or sleep!  A perfectly wonderful tradition.

This year, Jeff and I are going out for our turkey dinner.  This is the first time in many, many years where I haven't spent the entire day before preparing food that needs to be refrigerated.  While it will seem odd not to have to peel potatoes, make stuffing and gravy, I find that I'm okay with that.  The less food in the house is better for me.  As you know, a nibble here and a nibble there and before you know it you've eaten half the pie!

I remember as a child visiting my Grandmother who raised turkeys.  She kept the Tom turkeys separate from the hens (or tomettes if you prefer).  The Tom turkeys were scary creatures with a large wing span.  My brother and I were supposed to go to the pen area where the turkeys were kept and make sure that the feeders were full of grain and water.  I also remember that Grandma told us we had to make sure that the turkeys didn't sit on top of the aluminum feeders, because apparently they were/are so dumb that they would sit there until their feet were hot.

Because it's the day before "Black Friday", the ads in the paper weighed a ton.  Since I have done most of my shopping, I find I'm not terribly interested in what the stores have up for sale.  And since I have a gimpy hip, I do most of my shopping on line anyway.  

The hardest person(s) to buy for are the boys and Jeff.  Jeff is not a clothes horse so he has never pined for new shirts, etc. and I know virtually nothing about tools.  Besides in the past every time I manage to get instructions on what tools to buy for him, generally end up in one of the boys' houses!

After we eat our mid-day meal, then we can either brave Lowes or Home Depot looking for something that the boys, or more likely Jeff needs!  

I could spend the afternoon wrapping up the things I've bought, but I hate wrapping.  As the boys got older, I found myself more and more taking boxes and sealing them with packing tape.  I know, I know, it's not pretty, but most guys don't care about fancy paper and bows.

I hope you enjoy your day regardless of how you spend it.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...