Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Ah In The Name Of Style.....

5/2/2017

I don't know about other old(er) women, but I now have developed a "frankly, Scarlett I don't give a damn" attitude.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that clothing manufacturers don't consider us seniors as their target audience.  And, I'm actually okay with that.  

In this week's Washington Post's Magazine, there were several pages of the latest trends.  And, if you buy any of these trendy bits, be prepared to pay a lot!  It's summer time (mostly) and women are getting regular pedicures so that their toes are polished and looking good.  

Time to drag out the sandals ladies.  One of the ads in the magazine, was for slides, you know the kind of shoe that you probably own one or two pairs.  Who wouldn't?  They are super comfy and come in all sorts of colors and styles. My go-to slide is a pair of Birkenstocks.  Initially, when you are breaking in a new pair, it pretty much feels like you're wearing a shoe box, but over time, you and the sole of the shoe, become one.  Eventually, when you want to wear them, your foot just slides easily into the shoe.

I found pictures of slides in the magazine, and the cost of these suckers is not for the faint of heart.  A Givenchy slide is $395.00; Ferragomo $475.00; Prada $395; Chanel $700.00, and another designer that I've never heard of $420.00.  Can you picture taking yourself and your designer shoes to the pool and/or the beach?  I doubt it.  If I had a three digit price tag on my feet, I doubt that I'd ever wear them outside of the house.  The advertisement says that the above slides are "cute without being too precious and still comfy enough for a trip to the grocery store".  Who are we kidding?  Let's face it, one you put your foot in said designer slide, how will anybody in the grocery store know that your shoes are so expensive, they should be insured?  Mind you, these high end slides are very pretty, but you can get a lower priced version of these slides, pretty much anywhere.  

And, then there's sunglasses.  I am in envy of women who don't need prescription glasses.  They can buy a complete assortment of sunglasses, all meant for show and style.  Just like the slides, the glasses in the magazine are high end; but, again who's going to know?  So for a mere $500, you can have Dior; Boucheron (whoever the heck he is) $800; Christopher Kane $401 (really? why aren't they priced $399 or $400.  What's the deal with the one dollar tacked on to the price? And last, but certainly not least is Fendi at $520.  Like the slides, who is actually going to know that your sunglasses didn't come from KMart?  And after looking at the pictures of these sunglasses, I don't find any of them attractive at all.  Or is my rationale for not liking them, biased because of the prices? Could be, we'll never know.

Most clothing designers aren't making clothes for either: (a) an older woman; and, or a bigger woman.  If the designers actually cared about who was wearing their clothes, then they would stop making those stupid tunics that come down across the rear end.  Unlike, Jennifer Lopez, I try to keep my end of things not covered.  I want t-shirts that come to the top of my hips, and horrors never the bottom of my hips.  There are just some things that people don't need to see.  Oh, you'd look okay in the front, but the backside is a completely different story.  Perhaps, manufacturers think that making tunics is a neat way for women to "camouflage" their "assets".  I think the opposite in fact.  When you have a piece of clothing stretched across a, let's face it, a wide(r) body, it's just not a good look. And, these longer pieces of clothing don't fool anybody, particular the person who's wearing them!  Just saying.

There was a time, a long time ago, when I did look for and bought certain labels for my clothes.  But, I was working then, and could afford to do that.  I would search on Ebay for clothes made by Christopher Banks (love his stuff), Karen Scott (not high end pieces, but fit and looked well); and, Alfred Dunner for example.  

Now that I'm retired, I am looking for "comfy" clothes.  I know that when I cross a street now, the people watching me aren't ogling me for my looks.  Nope, they're wondering how long does it take for an old woman to cross the street?    Nine-nine percent of the time, I stay home and the puppies really don't care what I wear or don't wear.  They just want breakfast and they want it now.  I favor elastic waists, which are not stylish, but comfortable.  I do own a pair of "dressy" pants, but because of the relaxed attitude toward clothing, seldom have an opportunity to wear them.

Climbing off my soap box now.  Hope you have a great day.

P

Image result for picture of designer sunglasses

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...