Thursday, May 11, 2017

Bad Knee

5/11/2017

Yesterday morning I was in so much pain, that I checked to see if Stacey and Benjamin could come to the house.  When they arrived, I told Stacey it was probably better to just take me to the Emergency Room, where "hopefully" somebody could do something about my knee.  Stacey and I tried to get me out of the house, but the pain was so bad, that we called an ambulance.  Overkill?  Perhaps, but I could see no other way for me to get to the hospital.  The men who showed up were all very nice and even through pain-filled eyes, could see why firefighters and EMT's rate their own calendar!  Just saying.  

Once in the hospital, I was seen rather quickly.  The attending physician agreed that my right knee didn't look good.  Really?  That's why I came in with my knee.  Now what can you do for me? I was a boring patient - no blood - no broken bones and not having a heart attack.   Turns out not too much.  After a quick exam, I was wheeled off into another room where the three of us would sit for over 5 hours.  I was promised a Percot and finally got that pill just as I was being released.  Jeff came to the hospital when he got off work.  I opted to ride home in Stacey's car because it is an SUV and I thought I would have a much easier time getting in.  I was partially right.  Stacey got on the other side of the car and pulled me into the seat.  Then a nurse and a physical therapist worked to get my right leg into the car.  Never used the word "f..." so much in my life.  

Once we got home, Jeff and Stacey hauled me out of the car and I managed to get inside.  Jeff put me in my recliner, with ice on my right knee and a number of pillows to elevate that leg.  I hadn't eaten all day, so while I wasn't hungry, knew I should eat something.  I had two frozen waffles (defrosted of course), which I ate but not with any enthusiasm.  

After Stacey and Benjamin left, Jeff gave me the remotes, I leaned back in the chair, and eventually the pill took over and I feel asleep during a show.  So for the second night in a row I slept in my recliner.  The thought of going up and down stairs, gives me the shiffers (may or may not actually be a word).  

So today, Stacey and Benjamin are coming back to the house to take me to see an orthopedic doctor, who had better be able to actually do something about the knee.  One of the nurses said that she had a similar problem with fluid built up around the knee.  Apparently, once it's drained, I will feel much better.  Fingers crossed.

Under normal circumstances, Jeff would take the day off to take care of me, but he's the only one in the office, so staying home isn't an option.  But, I know he would if he could.

I've managed with some effort to get from the recliner to the bathroom and fixed myself a waffle for breakfast, which I actually didn't want.  I had such good plans for this week and Saturday in particular.  

The last two days, the girls have circled me like a wolf does a wagon train!  I know that dogs can tell when something is wrong or different. 

It's raining and very gloomy outside.  I've been up some this morning, and think that with a bit of effort, I'll be able to get in Stacey's car this afternoon. 

I'm truly grateful to have such a wonderful daughter-in-law.  

P

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear! Hope you get some help today and feel better for your weekend. Happy Mother's Day!!
    Love, M

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...