Saturday, April 12, 2014

Book Sale

4/12/2014

Yesterday was day one of an amazing used book sale at one of the higher end schools ($$$) in our area.  They have had an annual book sale for 46 years, and unfortunately,  this year is their last, and my first!

Jeff took me to the school pretty early in the morning, and while there were a lot people there, I'm sure it would pale in the face of the crowds that will be at the school today and tomorrow.  You are given a map of the location of the different types of books.  There was some serious book readers and/or collectors there.  You could spot them by their little wheeled carts that could probably hold three boxes of books at one time.  Me, I went with only one tote bag because I wasn't sure what I would find there.  

After perusing the place, I could have definitely used two tote bags. The prices were certainly fair and the most you would pay for a book was $5.00.  And $5.00 is a more than fair price for a hardback book.

Not immediately, but I did end up in the children's books and found soooo many books that I wanted to buy for Benjamin.  All the books are hardback and four of them still showed the original price on the books.  Those books prior to the sale would have cost $62.92.  The price I paid for just those four books was a mere $10.00. One book retail was $28.99 and is an 11x14 book called "365 Things to Make and Do".  It's a beautiful book and doesn't look like it's ever been opened.  Benjamin and Stacey will have a lot of fun making things together.

I bought myself half a dozen paperback books from favorite authors.  I saw plenty of books that I wanted but the print was so small that I knew it would be impossible for me to read them.  Unfortunately, the sale didn't include any large print books, which are just about the only books I'm able to read easily now.

For a lifelong book reader, a sale such as this one, was pure heaven.  The sale had books of all genres and while the crowd wasn't immensely huge, there were enough people dragging their little book carts around as well as mothers with strollers as wide as the aisles.  I found most people were courteous and would make enough room for me so that I was able to poke through all the books.  

It was a most satisfying morning for me, because who doesn't like looking at hundreds of books all in one place!  I didn't go overboard on buying books for me simply because my eyesight no longer allows me to read very small print.

So as soon as I have finished this, and folding my laundry, I'm heading out to the front porch swing for reading time. 

It's a beautiful day here in Maryland with lots of sunshine.  A great day to be outdoors.  Enjoy your Saturday.

P
 



1 comment:

  1. How fun that must have been! Enjoy your reading time...have you read The Bookmans Tale? I am reading it now and it is very good.

    M

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...