Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Reading Obsession

4/16/2014

Ever since I was a child, I have loved, spelt with a capital "L" books.  While I can't exactly remember my parents reading to me at bedtime, I do remember the Little Golden Books, which are still being sold today, though I doubt that they are as popular now as they were then.

Long before I became an adult, and a regular at the library, whenever we were shopping at the PX, I could generally convince my folks to buy me a book or two.  I know I read all of Nancy Drew and Bobbsey Twins books plus Little Women (such a classic).  

When I became a teenager, I ventured into books by Danielle Steel and Harold Robbins.  Of the two authors, Harold wins every time.  Though I'm pretty sure Mom didn't approve of my reading The Carpetbaggers, but at least she didn't toss it out either.  By today's standards, Carpetbaggers is so tame, compared to what you can read today, where many books are not what I would consider "G" rated!

I can not tell you how many times I got into trouble for not getting my work done around the house.  Every time Mom would call me to do something, I always answered "in a minute".  Both of us knew that my absence was going to be longer than a minute.  I just had to get to the next page or chapter.  Think how great it would be to have had books on tape - you could wash dishes and still visualize some hunky man (rich, of course), lounging at the beach!

I don't remember ever seeing my Mom read a book.  Occasionally, Dad, would read a Louis D'Amour book, which I think was about the Wild West.  Do you remember the Reader's Digest Condensed Books?  Mom and Dad had those and while I didn't like every story I read, I enjoyed most.  They were lovely leather bound books with gold printing on the book spine.  

I was off reading after working full-time and raising children.  I still would read, but free time was a precious commodity and I could either nap or read.  Guess which one I picked?  As the boys got older, I began to go to the library regularly.  When I first started working for an insurance company in 1969, I didn't drive, so once a week my boss would give me extra time for lunch, and I would walk (horrors) to the library.  

There have been times when the local library wasn't handy, so I began buying books, which is a delicious, but expensive, hobby.  Initially, hard back books dominated the scene, but eventually paperbacks showed up, and they were cheaper.  I almost never go back and read a book again, and sometimes I send my books to my sister, which I think I would do more frequently, but even opting for the slow snail through China option, it's still pricey.

 Since I'm retired and there is nobody nagging me, I find I have lots of time for reading, and none or little time for housework (you know it's a drag)!

While I was writing this, the lawn people came and I love the smell of freshly mowed grass, and even more so if I don't have to do it.  They were good enough to take with them some of the branches we cut off one of the Cypress trees and cut down to the ground my ornamental grass.  I had done the other two bushes, but it's a lot of work with just hand clippers.  One minute with something electric - and voila the grass is cut!

Some catalogs arrived today, so I'm going to get my water and reading glasses and head for the porch swing.

Enjoy.

P






No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...